Background video issues — no longer playing

Hi there

A while ago, we published a site with a background video.
It worked fine so far. But suddenly it stoped working on the live version for no reason. It works just fine in the Webflow backend though:

Read only link: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/bio-fur-aui-3?utm_source=bio-fur-aui-3&preview=e20e0747c813bf4af2f2e7e949e992ec

Live-Version: biofueraui.ch

Thank you very much for your help.

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out about your live site.

Here recently, Google completed a background video update that may be affecting your exported project, and Webflow completed an update as well to fix any issues.

Feel free to re-export and upload your project so that the new autoplay feature works.

Thanks in advance, and I’ll be standing by to test for you :bowing_man:

For whatever reason my background video on my front page no longer plays. But when I take a peek at the code “inspect page” it shows the details for the video and I can click through the links to the base video embedded on the site but it’s not showing up when published. Tried several computers and browsers.

Here is my site Read-Only: Webflow - CrossWalk Church

Hi @Bubble-Media

We did some more testing, and It doesn’t look like the issue is happening on this end. It looks like the webflow.io subdomain plays the bg video as expected and itt also plays as expected when exporting and opening the index.html file (screen recording).

I recommend re-exporting the files and then try to upload once more. If this doesn’t work you may consider adding the asset to your hosting provider manually.

@jadefox02, I did some testing with your instance of the issue as well. This issue is slightly different because the bg video isn’t playing on the webflow.io subdomain at all. Can you please try to completely delete the bg video, add a new background video component, and re-upload your video?

Can you also ensure there are no spaces or special chars in the file name before uploading?

​Thanks in advance.

Hey, Brando!

I attempted those things and it is still not working… :confused:

I deleted the background video module, re-added it, used a different clip, named it something simple. To no avail!

Hi @jadefox02,

Thank you for letting us know that you were still unable to view your background video.

After some additional digging, we noticed that the parent element has a background color that is above the child background video element.

The following short screencapture provides some insight on a possible update to see your video: Screen Recording 2018-10-16...

You can also view the cloned site at http://crosswalkchurch-bg-video.webflow.io/

Hopefully, this was helpful. Feel free to let me know if this is helpful, or if you have any additional questions.

I’ll be standing by to help further!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I can’t believe it was something so simple. That layer used to be transparent to darken the video behind the text, somehow it changed to being solid black and I didn’t realize it! Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.