Work around on 5 items on nested collection

Well, this is EXTREMELY disappointing. I just built out an entire data structure only to discover this limitation renders it completely useless. The editor should at least TELL you that there’s a limit when you create a nested collection…

3 Likes

This is a super frustrating limitation! But if you’re feeling frisky, Finsweet has an Attributes plugin that is intended to obviate this

This is a very frustrating limitation. I thought it was a bug until I saw in their description of nested collections that the number of child collection references is limited to only 5.

This is a ridiculous limitation. Just discovered it while building out my page. I have a client fishing tournament site with Annual Tournaments and winners. The main collection is the Tournament year and the nested collection is the winners list which goes up to ten placements. Wouldn’t you know it, the limit is five. So I can’t show all the winners. Not good.

Yes, nested lists have limited use.
I think the intended approach is;

• COLLECTION LIST 1 - Tournaments
    • COLLECTION LIST 2 - Winners
      • Winner 1st place
      • Winner 2nd place…
      • Winner 5th place…
      • See all winners ( links to Tournament collection page )

Collection Pages are collection-bound, but are not a collection-list, so there you get the normal Collection List behavior of 100 max + pagination.

@advernut - I resorted to pulling in a nested list from the collection page via JavaScript to resolve the issue on a project before. Something you could consider.

Is it me or does everyone else always feel like they are looking for a workaround for a webflow issue all the time? I get half way through a project and then another hurdle appears. At least with Wordpress you know what can be achieved.

3 Likes

All the time, and it’s why we’re leaving the platform. There are limitations and barriers—on a pro tier account—that are nonsensical. We’re tired of fighting with the platform over these really dumb, little issues.

2 Likes

I’ve only just started using Webflow and I’m already banging my head against the wall with the limitations of nested collections and collection items. Looking at the other threads and posts on here, it’s an issue in which people have been asking for a native solution for years. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like its going to happen any time soon.

:frowning_face:

Just discovered this limitation after changing up my website. This really sucks…

Yeah, most situations can be adequately resolved with javascript or tooling. Check out Finsweet’s CMS nest which is focused on this limitation.

1 Like

How is it possible that. 4 years later this is still a problem?!

We don’t want AI-powered stuff, we just want the basics to work properly!

Is there anyone from Webflow who can finally address this after 4 years?? (@Ellen_Larsson)