URL for files uploaded to webflow

Hi there,

I have multiple .pdf files available for download in my website. When the user clicks to download it takes the users to a URL such as https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/6094790909ce405e366803d1/6168d09d88760effb913b23f_EXAMPLE.pdf

I was wondering if I could have my own custom domain name e.g www.mydomain.com/example.pdf

Is it possible?

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

1 Like

Not with Webflow hosting. Webflow provides a CDN that all assets are loaded to. You can’t change the base URL only an asset name that gets prepended to on upload.

Thanks Jeff!

Webflow is such an incredible tool but there are things that get me frustrated.

Hello!

I had a similar question. Is there any work around this? Like, could we create a Page (“Filename”) and just have that page be hosting the file so if someone clicks on “Filename” in header it goes to domain.com/filename and shows the same thing?

@zmarks215 - Not using the CDN. You could use your own server but then images / files can only be added via custom code. Webflow is very limited.

This should be very straightforward. I’m surprised this is even an issue as it does indeed appear to be.

Not so much an oversight as an intentional design decision. I’m not a huge fan of it either, but asset CDN’s are a very different hosting environment than a live site, so Webflow chose to separate the parts.

I get that, but personally I’d much prefer the option to configure an asset-specific CNAME in my hosting settings and then have all of my assets resolve to a branded URL like assets.mysite.com/...

What you’re asking for is not hard to do in Webflow, with a little javascript.

1. Upload the document into your site’s Assets.
  2. Publish the site, so that the document is live.
  3. Go back toyour Assets folder, find the document, click the “gear” icon, and copy the document’s URL.
  4. Create a new page with the link name you want (mydomain.com/example), and add the following javascript into your page header:
<script>
window.location.replace("FullURLofDocumentHere");
</script>