Track nr. of clicks on collection item

Hi!
I would like to know if there is a way of tracking the clicks on a collection item?
A counter in the CMS that goes one up every time someone clicks it.

I would like to show the most viewed blog posts, and so far I can only solve it by tracking it in Google Analytics, and then manually changing a field with nr of clicks in my CMS every now and then. But the project is for a client, and I don’t intend on doing this forever, and I also don’t think he would love this solution.
I have also thought about trying with custom code, but all I can think of would make the counter start at 0 for every person ever opening the page and also restart at 0 on refresh.

Hope you can help! :smiley:

There is no easy native way of doing this. You’ll need to set up a way to get impression counts from something like Google Analytics, then use the Webflow API to update a field in the CMS through something like Postman, Zapier or Integromat.

Ah too bad, but thanks a lot for the answer! :smiley: Have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Linea So I got halfway, haven’t had the time to figure out the last bit but you can get the numbers into an auto-updating Google Sheet and then in theory push through zapier. Let me know if you have any luck. https://discourse.webflow.com/t/sort-cms-by-popular-posts-i-have-half-a-solution/155564

1 Like

Cool @J8kes, thank you very much, this is great! I will update you if I make it work :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Linea, Did you find an easy way to track individual CMS pages in a collection?

1 Like

Hey Jorge, we’ve built an analytics tool just for Webflow and it can help you with exactly this kind of thing.

After you’ve signed up and added tracking, click on “New metric” then follow either of these steps:

1. To see popular CMS items, open the dropdown and choose “Collections” followed by the collection you want. You’ll see a list of the most popular items in that collection (based on clicks).

2. To see popular CMS pages, choose page views from the dropdown (it should be the default) and then enter /<SLUG>, slug being the collection list slug. Then open the breakdown by dropdown and choose “Path”. You’ll see a list of the most viewed pages inside that collection.

For example, if I want to see which pages are most popular for my collection with the slug how-to, I’d do this:

Let me know if you have any questions!