Tools for Optimising images

@magicmark - Quick question regarding your mention of ImageOptim… are you familiar at all with the JpegMini app or tinyjpg.com? If so, how does ImageOptim compare to the two I just mentioned? I’m always looking for a better image optimization service, so this definitely has piqued my curiosity. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I did a quick video to show you :slight_smile: In comparison from what I remember with tinypng, you had to re-save the images once they were compressed whereas this is just instant. ImageOptim is also only available on Mac.

CloudApp

It’s saved me a ridiculous amount of hours. When I started my first Webflow site, I didn’t optimise a single image from the suppliers, now you can drag 100’s of images at a time and it just puts them back in the right place for you :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time to make that video, @magicmark! Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Quick question, and perhaps a silly one, but I’m assuming you’re optimizing your images prior to adding them to Webflow’s assets panel?

Thank you again!

No such thing as a silly question. Yep, optimise then add. Once I have all assets I usually bulk optimise, and bulk add.

Let me know if you have any issues or questions :grinning: it’s free too so worth a try! Thee are no paid features at all as it’s opensource.

1 Like

Cool, thanks! Yeah, that’s what I figured. Which makes me wonder if it’s worth re-optimizing all my images in my assets panel and then re-uploading them back into Webflow. Hmmmm? :thinking:

Webflow overwrites images with same names, correct?

If the image hasn’t changed at all, and is the same size in all aspects, Webflow won’t replace it. If the file name is the same, but the image varies in anyway, Webflow will add it as a new asset to the asset manager.

Thanks! Just to make sure I’m following correctly, Webflow never overwrites images, even if they have the same name, file size, etc.?

Is there a simple way to go through and find unused assets and batch delete them out? I’m thinking that’s not possible at this point, because I seem to remember a wishlist item hoping for this functionality in the assets panel. ??

Also, I did a quick test run of ImageOptim, and it looks like my images are pretty well optimized, which is good! But the great thing is I can cut the steps of using BOTH JpegMini and TinyJpg, and just do it all now in ImageOptim. So thank you again for posting about it! :slight_smile:

Just found Sqoosh and I’m getting results that are 1/3 to 1/2 smaller in file size than other compression apps.
Downside… no batch processing.

1 Like

Thanks for the valuable discussion. I was looking for the same answer.

1 Like

Here’s a plug and play tool I am working on! - Webflow CMS Image Optimizer

I haven’t named it yet. Would entertain suggestion for names as well.

1 Like

That’s so interesting.
Subscribed and keep me posted!

1 Like

Will do. Do reach out if you if you have suggestions or just would like to chat about your experience with Webflow.

Hey Guys, Looking for an image optimizer for a client who won’t be able to optimize images before they upload them to the site. I came across @veermanhas app and also Optily which look good but i noticed on Optily it says:

Service ending in Q1 2023
With native CMS optimization coming soon, we wanted to be as transparent as possible with our customers and inform them that this will seen be available for free and natively by Webflow.

We appreciate all the support on this service over the years, and look forward to building along side you in other ways. Thanks, Flowbase Team.

Just wondering where i can read about this With native CMS optimization coming soon as i havent seen anything about it? Is Webflow building in an automated image optimiser? That woul dbe very cool - anyone got a link so i can read more?

I realise there is the new WebP conversion tool - but that is for images in the library - what about automating CMS image optimisation & resizing, is this coming?

The native Webflow photo optimizer works amazingly!
I just bulk optimized all my pngs and it is just amazing!

1 Like

Yes it’s great for images uploaded through the designer but for images added through the CMS? There was rumours of an optimisation system for this but hard to get any thing concrete.

Hi Guys - still wondering about optimizing images used in the CMS rather than the front end of the site, the Optily service allowed you to optimize images used as part of a CMS collection item, and the Webflow web P optimized, which is great, only works for images used on the front end.

I have clients who don’t understand optimizing images before they use them in collection items, is there Native Webflow functionality coming to do this as they upload the images?

Also as per the Lil Big Things link above, it allows you to optimize thumbnails when used in a Collection List which is a great way to speed up a site with a big collection list on it with lots of thumbnails.

@Shaneod - I have not seen mention of responsive image generation for CMS images / rich text embedded images in the pipeline. That does not mean much as I rely on publicly disclosed announcements. Possible that I missed one. If someone can provide a link to an official reference please post it.

The only thing released lately, was the ability to convert assets to webp format, for items in the asset library with NO FALLBACK where webp is unsupported, like older versions of IOS.

That has eliminated this as an option for the majority of my clients.

1 Like

Hey Jeff, thanks for the answer - i haven’t seen anything official either but Flowbase seem to know their stuff and seems to think it’s coming soon.

@Shaneod - They may be right but I would strongly caution against making business decisions based on hearsay or beta’s for that matter. Too risky.

1 Like