Sort CMS collection by state using only two collections?

Does anyone know if it’s possible for me to sort a CMS collection like this website here?

https://logancoach.com/dealer-search/

(ignore the US and Canada Headers, lets just pretend I want to only do the states right now)

I thought I could have one Collection for all the Dealers and Info, and then have that reference a collection to each state… and then sort it vertically by state somehow… but now I’m wondering if I have to create a collection for each state to be able to sort like this…?

Thoughts? Possible? Not possible? I don’t think it’s possible, but I knew someone with better understanding of CMS stuff would know for sure and better than me :wink: Thanks!

This can be done but it’ll require a little bit of a work around.

At the moment Webflow doesn’t allow you to nest a collection inside another collection, so for example if you have your collection “dealers” and a collection “states” you can’t then show the ‘states’ and inside of each of them the ‘dealers’

BUT (and this is a big but)

you can use a plugin called Mix it Up to sort your collection ‘dealers’ by ‘states’. Here’s the reference topic so you can go and see how to implement it in your site.

Hope this helps.

A bit easier way to do it is by using Tabs widget and put pre-filtered collections into each Tab pane.

Limitation here would be the amount of categories (states) you have, because by technical reasons, we allow only max 20 collection instances on one page.

1 Like

That’s why I didn’t suggested that approach, 20 collection per page (50 states in USA) I didn’t see the point. Plus your solution @sabanna is quite powerful!

1 Like

Thank you @sabanna and @aaronocampo. These are great responses. I will take a look at them and see if I can implement them!

2 Likes