Responsive images does not seem to be working for our site

ran a google page speed test and got a score of 27/100 on arrowgtp.com

The suggestion was that the images need to optimized and compressed, but I want under the impression that webflow did this automatically. This does not seem to be the case, however, so i want to know if i’m doing anything wrong, or if i need to enable the feature manually, or what…we would like to improve the speed of the site, and if that means manually updating the photos then that is fine, just need some advice on this issue.

thank you :slight_smile:

Your site took me 1 minute to load on desktop. These are the problem images:

I would resize them to below 100KB, jpg compression 70%.

Responsive images load only on mobile. Furthermore, seems like only JPG images will be resized. You use quite a lot of PNG and JPEG images, so there isn’t much effect.

Also, Google page speed isn’t the best tool. Use this instead: Website Grader - Check your Pages for Speed and SEO

Hey! It’s my understanding that Webflow works with the original saved-for-web images we upload and then will resize where appropriate for smaller devices. It’s our job to upload fully optimized images right off the bat, though.

Once you use the “save for web” function in Photoshop with your images set to 72 dpi (or 144 dpi for HiDPI) and export your images at the size you want them for desktop, go ahead and run them through this awesome free tool: https://tinypng.com … It saves a lot more file size on top of what Photoshop does.

ok, thank you. From the webflow docs it seemed like a bunch of different sizes of optimized and compressed versions of every jpg and png would be created and loaded for every different possible screen size, but that does not seem to be the case.

Going to try manually editing the images sizes, compression amounts, and then running them through the tinning compressor to see if i can squeeze even more out of them.

In the meantime, thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Thank you, i will check out tinypng. I am also concerned about making sure that all images are crisp on retina(HiDPI) devices as well, so that always makes the images larger. I’m a little disappointed in @webflow’s claims about their image compression, since the results do not seem to match said claims. I could always be doing something wrong, however, so hopefully that is the case, and not the other way around.

Again, thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.