Member-only area

@ward320ny Ure the answer to my prayers, i actually did a post: “Take it backend - #2 by stefanbel” just today and were searching for this. Wow!

1 Like

Does Memberspace allow for individual content that is unique to a given user? For instance, perhaps I want to share a screenshot per user, that screenshot being unique per user/member.

1 Like

Hey Matt, sorry we don’t have an individual content per user feature yet (unless you wanted to create a member plan for every member - but obviously that doesn’t scale well). The good news is your request is already on our roadmap (no ETA though) so if you want to get notified when it’s available you can join our feature updates list here: MemberSpace

you can’t really customize Payment / User Profile windows in Memberstack. if you have a dark mode website, that would look really strange to see a user’s profile all in white, as well as the payment form that would look really odd and cause trust issues from the client’s side. it is probably a good solution if you create only white / light websites.

in Memberspace you can customize forms better but there are some fields that you can’t and they remain looking really out-of-the-complete-picture… and their support refuses to provide with help on how to actually customize all area of a form…

has anyone found a solution that is fully customizable and may fit dark mode websites?

Hey Adam :wave:, so here is a help doc with more details about how to apply custom CSS to adjust parts of the MemberSpace form that aren’t available in the standard look & feel editor: https://help.memberspace.com/article/171-adding-custom-css-to-memberspace

sorry but this is not helping. it is what I explained in my post: you can adjust some fields on a form but the rest remain looking untouched and it looks horrible. especially if you are using a dark mode website

Happy to chat further over DM. Could you link me to your website or share a screenshot? I haven’t heard this specific feedback from others :man_shrugging:

I have sent you a message in Chat

SOLVED: After discussing things in DM with Ward who represents MemberSpace we’ve managed to achieve fully customizable member’s area platform with editable login, sign up, payment forms and the member’s area itself. I can recommend this more than MemberStack since with MemberSpace you can fully compliment the design of your website. In fact it also works with Stripe

2 Likes

Hey

Check out https://www.pensil.in/
It’s a community building platform with an option like members space, fee collection, and providing platform for your audience to interact.

We are a YC backed startup. Offering customisable solution

Feedback would be great
Thanks

As far as I can tell, every solution for Member-only areas relies on front-end access control. This means a savvy intruder can get around any of them. This includes MemberSpace, MemberStack, and Jason Dark’s Firebase method.

To truly protect your content, you need server-side (backend) access control, and this simply doesn’t exist within Webflow.

Webflow cannot meet your needs if:

1. You have truly sensitive content—especially if people can get hurt if it falls into the wrong hands, and
  2. You need to use the Webflow CMS, so you can’t store that content elsewhere.

Webflow may still meet your needs if you:

1. Need for members to pay for your content, but you’ll be fine if a small number get access without paying.
  2. You can store sensitive content on another server outside of Webflow and have the technical competency to connect that protected content from within Webflow.

I’d love to be wrong, so please let me know if I’m mistaken.

It depends on what data you’re trying to secure. If it’s front end code generated by Webflow that contains sensitive information, then you’re correct.

For clarity, I think it’s worth pointing out that it is possible to securely authenticate a user on the front end using JWT auth (like Firebase and AFAIK Memberstack). The issue is that authentication is meaningless if you can’t effectively secure the content you want to protect e.g. Webflow generated front end code.

As per above, it’s correct that you cannot truly protect your front end code using any of the currently available Webflow authentication strategies. You can however authenticate a user using JWT auth, then request content from a backend that you control, verify their token on the backend, then return the content to the front end and display it there. This is pretty much what SPAs do.

The problem is that doing so largely defeats the purpose of Webflow as you need to have the technical skills to build a secure backend.

1 Like

Hi all.
Josh with Foxy here. We provide show/hide logic for our customer portal functionality: https://support.foxy.io/en_US/webflow/create-a-customer-portal-in-webflow This is a javascript approach like other solutions mentioned in this thread.

That said, it’s possible to truly lock-down content/pages with Cloudflare: https://github.com/Foxy/foxy-cloudflare-membership-site Heads up that this approach will require more advanced experience.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions: hello@foxy.io

Thanks,
Josh