Interactions tutorial and more

Hi everyone!

Would like to suggest a complete interactions tutorial covering every details of it.
I was talking to @cyberdave not long ago about some cool feature involving interactions.

Like flash used to do, for example.
Interaction : Fade in - Scale on Hover: Click on the element , Fade out and then Fade in a new
element on the same area, this could be triggerd by a menu or nav bar as well.
Im sure this is possible because now its calling scroll to certain section on many sites
but instead of scroll down or up called by the menu or nav bar, just Fade in/out the content
and display the new section there, this is different than show/hide because that needs a toggle
to display and hide.

This might be done using a container, then click the menu and call the new item to fade in
inside the container, when calling new content, fades out the current content and fades in the
new content.

Hope i explained myself.
Thank you and keep the great work !!!

1 Like

Hi @OrangePeel, have you looked at the tutorials on this page?

Yes that is great, but i was talking about a step by step video tutorial.
Something like the Coming Soon page tutorial. I have been playing with interactions
and tutorials, but my question was more focused on the Fade in / out / loading content behaviour on the same container. Thanks Brryant

2 Likes

I’d love to get some updated and detailed tutorials on interactions. The existing tutorials are outdated.

A little bit off-topic: I have been thinking that tutorials should be left for their greater part to be written by the community - e.g. through a moderated wiki system or something like that. I wish the Webflow team focused as much as possible into improving their product rather than writing tutorials. And after all, who could explain things in the vernacular of a novice than another novice? :slight_smile:

An expert who understands how to explain things to a novice could explain things better and more quickly. The tutorials that Webflow has produced so far are pretty great, and I’d much prefer that level of excellence than tutorials produced by people who don’t have the special skills and software to produce them. Don’t get me wrong - I appreciate them a ton (and I’ve made them too), but they often just don’t have that polish and scripted focus. In addition, Webflow has a structure in place for sharing tutorials, which makes finding them a much better user experience than having to spend an hour searching through the forum for this or that.

It also benefits Webflow, because when you “document” how to use software, it helps you find the bugs, inconsistencies, and opportunities for improvement.

1 Like

Hm, I’ve tried to train complete novices into Webflow using the Webflow tutorials and I found them (the tutorials :slight_smile: ) to be of little use. Maybe good for people with some experience with web sites, but not really structured to the learning curve of a novice. I personally do not like them, as well. But this is off topic.

My point is that, while it is generally good to have professionally developed tutorials, wouldn’t it be better if Webflow sacrificed the quality of the tutorials for the sake of making the product better at a faster pace? After all, the better the product, the less need to explain it in tutorials :slight_smile:

Let me give you an instance: a few weeks ago I was training a novice into Webflow and she had very hard time understanding the difference between current state of a class, none state and a hover state. And the reason for all this was that the current state was not set in the drop-down menu with other states. It appears as a combo class. If this had been fixed (“fixed” from a UI point of view) there would not have been any need to explain it length.

I agree that, the more intuitive the UI is, the less documentation is needed.

Ideally, Webflow would dedicate resources to both improving Webflow and to providing valuable and useful content, so users can use the product more successfully. Both are important for generating new sales and retaining customers.

As I mentioned, creating documentation helps with identifying and fixing the kind of issues you have described (more so with written documentation than with video tutorials). Inconsistencies become really clear when you write down the steps.

For example, currently, with interactions, there are different methods of editing settings: Clicking on a wrench icon, clicking on either the name or the wrench icon, and only clicking on the name. I only noticed this because I wrote down the steps from a video that a fellow forum person kindly made. This is a blatant inconsistency that makes the need for documentation even more pressing (because it’s counter-intuitive).

For a mature company that has a healthy understanding of what it takes to succeed, both are a priority, and they are used together to maximize cost-effectiveness.

1 Like