I’m unable to edit the padding on a div

I can’t edit the padding value of a div called “section.” The value in the style panel is struck-through with a red line. When I click on it, I’m given the message that the “Value is overridden by more specific selector: section”

Overridden by itself? Itself is more specific than itself?

The must be something obvious that I’m not grasping here. Does anyone know what that might be?

Here’s a one-minute movie that demonstrates the issue: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

Here’s my project’s read-only link: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/organic-web-design?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=organic-web-design&preview=c06dd69158c76eabe0825e978bc1107a&workflow=preview

hi @Chuck_Braman what I see is that this problem is only on sections with combo classes .section.brown-background. You have probably set padding on this combo class that has higher specificity. When I have removed class .brown-background and cleanup CSS all start working again. More on CSS Specificity here

1 Like

Thank you, @Stan

I’m not having the same experience as you at all. Maybe I’m just not grasping something.

The video I posted shows the problem occurring on the alternate sections that don’t use the brown-background combo class. It also still persists if I remove the brown-background combo class from the sections that use it.

In those sections, though, the behavior is even stranger (to me).

When the combo-class is present, rather than overriding the styling on the “section” class, it indicates that it is getting its styling from that base class. However, the number it indicates it is getting is different (top-padding 150, bottom-padding 140):

If I remove the combo-class, the situation is as I described earlier (base class “section” top-padding and bottom-padding 80, crossed out):

hi @Chuck_Braman I have done video that will explain more in detail where problem is and hopefully this video will give you an idea how address this problematic section class and remove it.

1 Like

Thank you, @Stan

You not only solved my problem, but gave me a brilliant demonstration of troubleshooting that I hope I can emulate in the future.

I didn’t add any custom code, so the duplicate class seems to have been the result of some sort of glitch in Webflow. But it was easily removed by following your example.

1 Like

hi @Chuck_Braman glad to hear that did help. I would like to only add that you should always do this kind of troubleshooting on project copy (just in case) as you have permission to write and save changes that may cause lost of data when removing sections as I have done. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.