Grid not responsive / columns don't shrink

Hi everyone,

I hope I’m describing this properly. I’m not familiar with web design terminology – or even web design at this point. :see_no_evil:

I’ve been experimenting to figure out a streamlined way to design my website. I figured I’d set up a grid that I can use as somewhat of a template. But when I tried that I ran into the problem that the columns only shrink down to a certain point as I change the view to tablet or mobile.

The mobile view in the designer shows the grid overflowing to both sides. In preview mode, it does squeeze the content into the layout though. :confused:

Do columns have a minimum width?

I’m attaching a couple of screenshots that illustrate what I’m trying to explain. I hope this makes sense.

I’m learning and I’m still trying to adjust my thought process from print to web – so I might be looking at this from the wrong angle. But since I already wasted a few hours on this I figured I should probably ask. :grin:

Thanks for your help!

Here is my site Read-Only: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/ddilettanti-6d6b0f1e3d20121f450a83369fe?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=ddilettanti-6d6b0f1e3d20121f450a83369fe&preview=b4838d4dc6a58ddb676dd3642074e60c&mode=preview
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Hi

You should delete some of the columns in the Grid.

1 Like

Thanks @shokoaviv! I actually did that. I figured that could only be a workaround though, no?

My intention was to use the grid to keep things nicely aligned throughout the website. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to do that.

I used one column.

https://www.loom.com/share/f03d61fe881e454f9c3b1074ba000dc4

Hey - thanks for putting in all the work to demonstrate this, @shokoaviv . :+1: :smiley:

If it was just for this one headline I wouldn’t need a grid at all. I could just use a regular text box or flexbox or something.

What I wanted to do was create a grid that I could copy/paste into every section on my website. To basically have a universal container for ALL the different content & layout needs I might have.

So, yes - for this simple headline a grid is complete overkill but for other sections that have copy & images, it wouldn’t be.

But maybe my thought process is completely flawed. :thinking:

I think I’m just going to get rid of the grid altogether. Makes things simpler.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile: