Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Grid - First Grid Area is blank and I'm not sure why

So I’m just starting out with using webflow and I’m trying to use Grid, but it’s not working how I feel it should.

When I create a grid and add elements to the grid, the first grid area is always empty. See video.
Can someone tell me what’s going on here and how do I fix this?

Here is my site Read-Only: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/judes-stellar-project-f3d3de?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=judes-stellar-project-f3d3de&preview=0e0213d697a044022e76078705911964&mode=preview

1 Like

Hey Jude, welcome to the Webflow community :wave:

The issue only happens when the grid setting is applied to the pre-built container element, and has proven difficult to figure out.

You can use any other element with display: grid. So you could either make the container with a normal div block, or drag in the Grid element into the container, which will work without issues. Rest assured, this is on us and is actively being worked on.

Happy designing!

3 Likes

So happy to have stumbled upon this! I had a bunch of grids on a site that were driving me nuts with that empty box and ended up having to set them all to manual. Never would have guessed it was because of the container. Am now able to finally to go back to the magical world of “auto.” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I just had it happen on a normal grid element. This is a showstopper. You guys need to fix your architecture or whatever causes these absurd abnormalities. This topic comes up constantly, and your PMs or designers or just simply anyone does nothing about it.

This WAS fine, then I added a button, as soon as I styled it, the whole thing shifted as if there was content in the first grid cell. So, desperate I put the button in a “blank” unstyled div and then it worked. NO CLUE WHY. These kind of inexplicable glitches seem to happen constantly… you guys seriously need to start addressing these UX issues.