Cloudflare DNS, domain results in a 404

Hi,

I’ve been struggling a lot with this, and things have gone from bad to worse. I resolved my first issue as discussed in this thread: Transfer a domain from one webflow account to another When the previous owner released the domain from his Webflow account, allowing me to add it to mine.

Now, my domain shows a 404 error, and I’m struggling to follow the instructions.
I’m trying to match Cloudflare settings to the instructions but I’m unable to add the CNAME record with the name “@”, as Cloudflare shows this error “Cannot add DNS records with the same name”.
Here’s what I see in Cloudflare:

and here’s what I see in Webflow:

and here’s what I’m seeing in the browser:

I’m at my wit’s end.

Here is my site Read-Only: [LINK][1]
Webflow - IWU Raft 1

https://www.iwuraft.com/

An update - the dashboard no longer shows any issues:

And yet, still getting a 404.

I fire up the Webflow Domain Checker, and it shows no issues, but it also shows domain not published and/or verified. and yet, I’m able to publish just fine.

the documentation is super-confusing, too.

The key thing I’m seeing wrong is that you have lwvraft.com as the default, but you’re not using a flattened CNAME configuration.

Set your www as the default and republish and everything should be fine. Note initially your browser will have redirects cached, so test it on a different browser after it’s published.

Or in Chrome you can disable caching;

how do I do that, though? Is that a setting in Webflow? there’s precious few options for me to manage there

There isn’t much needed to manage there.
You can see the default button in your screenshot

I tried following that guide, but the documentation is, in my opinion, really poor. Circular references, several overlapping guides, lack of screenshots.
In the end, I just gave up. Exported my site, loaded it into Cloudflare pages and downgraded the webflow account. It just wasn’t worth the time to figure out, and the fact that I wasn’t able to proxy my domain through Cloudflare also meant I wouldn’t be able to achieve some other business goals. Overall, a very frustrating process.

Yep, I agree, but in case you do this in the future, the Set as default button is right there next to each domain name. You clicked the one next to your bare domain, you want to click the one next to your www domain.

Most of the instructions you need are right there in that domains screen, like the message you see in your screenshot… “It’s best practice to use the www version …”

Off-screen in your screenshot the button you want would be here [1];

For a basic non-CMS site, that’s great. I do that as well, primarily to Netlify. As long as you don’t need to update it often, it works beautifully.

For the record though, it is possible to cloudflare-proxy your Webflow hosted site. A bit of setup knowledge, but I build tons of cloudflare reverse-proxies for clients. You can find the resources you need here in the forum if you search a bit.