Automatic 301 redirect for archived items

Hey,
I have a JobBoard built in Webflow. From time to time I archive old jobs.

But at the moment of archiving these jobs, they are still shown in the SERPS on Google and people clicking on it are landing on a 404 page.

Is there a way to automatically (or with API / Custom Code) redirect these “old” URLS to the overall landing page of the job board?

Best,
Max

I’m having the same issue. Did you find a solution to this?

Unfortunately redirects are processed before available pages are identified, so you cannot have a “catch all” redirect to handle missing collection item URLs.

I’m also not aware of any API’s that exist to manage redirects either, so you cannot automate redirect creation when items are archived.

Your best bet, would be to let the 404 happen, but on your 404 page to check the URL using script, and if you identify that the URL was for a collection item URL, you redirect it.

Likely users will see the 404 page very briefly.

Alternatively, you could create a nice looking 404 page, with different sections that contain specific messaging, like “That job is no longer posted, click here to search for related jobs…”

And a final approach is to avoid archiving the posts, and instead to flip a switch in the item indicating it is no longer available. Then your job page can clearly indicate that the posting is no longer available, and support searching for another ( good as you have the full details of the post, industry, location, etc. ).

That last one I think is the best for SEO, because that old post content still has SEO value. This is a common tactic of auction sites. Even Uber Eats lists restaurants it no longer represents [ tho that’s a dirty tactic… ]