Auto play background video

Hey
I try to find a solution to auto play background video when it scroll into view, but i didn’t find some have an idea ho to do it? :innocent:

I’m not a coder but I did some research and this is what I found:

<script>
  const observer = new IntersectionObserver(entries => {
    entries.forEach(entry => {
      if (entry.isIntersecting) {
        entry.target.style.backgroundImage = `url(${entry.target.dataset.video})`;
        observer.unobserve(entry.target);
      }
    });
  });

const videoContainer = document.getElementById('my-video-container');
  videoContainer.dataset.video = "your_video_file.mp4";
  observer.observe(videoContainer);
</script>

You need to add a div block and give it the an ID ‘my-video-container’ or any other one just make sure you change that ID in the script as well.

Explanation:

The Intersection Observer watches this container element and when it scrolls into view, the isIntersecting property of the observer’s entry object will be set to true, and we can then use JavaScript to change the background image of the container to the video file specified in the data-video attribute. After the video starts playing, we can use the unobserve() method to stop observing the container, so that it will only play once.

It’s important to note that this approach will not actually play the video as a video, but instead will simply display a static image of the first frame of the video as the background image. This may not provide the desired effect if you need the video to be animated, but it can be useful if you simply want to use a video as a background. Additionally, some browsers, like Safari, may still prevent videos from automatically playing for user experience and privacy reasons, so you should always provide a way for users to control the video playback manually.

1 Like