2 basic questions

Hi!
Newbie struggling to understand some of the basics speaking!:

Something I still don’t understand (despite my research and attempts): if I style the tags “Body All Pages”, “All H1 Headings” and “All Paragraphs”, do I still have to have the classes for “Body”, “H1” and “Paragraph”?
Because it seems to me that it creates a class automatically anyway?
(when I re-select an element that already has a class, it appears in the “style selector” (right panel). This is not the case with tags, even if I have already set them up. )

Despite the trainings I followed (Udemy and Webflow University), I’m still lost when it comes to sizing and spacing, so many options are available (size in pixels, margins, padding, auto sizing, min width, etc.)
(When I watch the videos, I understand everything, and when I put it into practice, everything gets complicated because of the number of possibilities!)

I’m trying to build these simple and basic elements for a simple site, based almost only on text:
1 section
1 or 2 container styles.
I find that my general container has too much margin on the left but I can’t change it (“Container margins are locked to keep it responsive”)
I would like minimal margins if the screen is too small, that’s all. Otherwise, content to the left rather than centered. Do I have to use flexbox (and where, in de “Body All Pages”) ?
I would prefer to avoid determining sizes of my elements in pixels. Is this possible?
What would be the basic principles to observe?
Thanks a lot for the help… :grimacing:

I personally never change the “All” selector for these elements. I would NOT recommend changing your All body to flex box. That’s just me. I would place a div inside the body element and then apply flex box property to that.
I never use the “container” or “section” elements from the panel. I just use generic divs and I can apply similar settings like max width. It’s funny, if you drop in a “section” from the element palette, the element isn’t even given the html5 “section” tag. The tag is still a basic div. Hmmm weird.

Most of these settings are personal preference or in regards to what you’re trying to achieve. I use different measurement types based on the design. For example, I typically use % or vw units on headline text that’s displayed on a desktop. I then might switch to pixel units on mobile views to lock in the sizing.

I use flex box a lot and typically avoid using the display = “grid” unless I really need it for something. I use flex box on a parent and then create the layouts using children that have a % width. For example a 50/50 grid, or a 40/60, or 33.33/33.33/33.33… different combinations that add up to 100%.

Again, this is just how I’ve gotten used to working.

1 Like

Thanks @Port_of_Folio ! I’ll foll(i)ow your advice.