Trigger CMS item with custom code

Hi,

I am trying to set up an e-learning site, where the user cannot progress to the next level until they press the “mark as complete” button.

Right now the button uses custom code, so when pressed it changes to “Completed”

Is there a way i can integrate this with my CMS? To prevent a user from seeing the next lesson until the button is pressed.

I am trying to figure out, once the button is pressed, that it triggers a switch in my CMS, then using conditional visibility to only show the next lesson when the switch is ON.

Is this possible? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Yes and no.
Split it into two separate issues…

1. Tracking a user, and the progress of that user on various courses
  2. Using that tracked state to gate the course lessons

Solve #1 first. Memberstack is one of your best choices here, since it has the ability to store user-specific data. Once you have the ability to read/write the current progression state of each course, then you can use it to gate your content.

For #2, I’d probably go with custom JS and build my own gating mechanic, however Memberstack does have some facilities you might be able to use internally. I’m not certain if that would apply here but it’s work checking as it might simplify things.

It’s important to understand that the gates aren’t secure. The content is hidden, but it’s in the page. If someone’s determined and has basic web knowledge, they can find it if they want to. That said, it would deter most people, and it’s probably not sensitive information that requires substantial security.

If you want something even more robust, look into Wized and possibly Xano. You can build a fairly decent set of UX designs and business logic on top of a Webflow-hosted site with those frameworks, as long as they fit in your budget.