Improve your SEO with noindex control for individual pages

We’ve always provided our customers with out-of-the-box SEO management tools, but now we’re giving users of any technical acumen even more methods to improve the SEO performance of their sites.

One SEO best practice is to concentrate search traffic on the core pages of your site by removing search engines’ abilities to find your less important pages by blocking search indexing on those pages. While it’s always been possible to add a noindex tag with custom code, now you can easily turn off indexing on any page directly from your page settings, which adds to the page.

SEO settings showing sitemap indexing toggle

Turning this on for a given page ensures that search engines will skip the page when crawling it and that the page will be removed from the automatically generated sitemap file that Webflow creates for your website — ensuring your site is tuned exactly how you want it for Google and other search engines.

You can learn more in our Webflow University article.

Is the sitemap toggling button not available on CMS Collection pages?

Currently this feature is for static pages and not dynamic template pages or items.

Can you clarify how Webflow’s automatically generated sitemap file is affected when a page’s indexing is turned off?

Hey @AddisonNatalie, welcome to the forum.

Here is what the University documentation says:

If you disable indexing of a static site page with the Sitemap indexing toggle, that page will no longer be indexed by search engines and will no longer be included in your site’s sitemap. You can only disable indexing with the toggle if you’ve enabled your site’s auto-generated sitemap.

Note
The Sitemap indexing toggle adds <meta content="noindex" name="robots"> to your site page. This prevents the page from being crawled and indexed by search engines.

Hope that helps answer your question.

As someone who’s not exactly a coding wizard, the ability to control indexing directly from the page settings is a game-changer. I’ve been working on improving the SEO for my photography website, especially targeting wedding photography. It’s a niche that’s both competitive and rewarding. I recently came across a fantastic article on LinkedIn (shoutout to Gerrid Smith!) about mastering SEO specifically for wedding photographers. Seriously, if you’re in the same boat as me, it’s a goldmine of insights. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested Master SEO for Wedding Photographers: Capture Top Rankings & Book More Weddings. Controlling the indexing of individual pages is crucial for ensuring that search engines focus on the core content of your site.