IMPORT Localisation 2nd language from csv

Hello all!

Localisation is great, but what if a client has their website already in two languages and needs a migration to webflow? Localisation allows to have a main local (say English) and then create a ‘mirror’ that can be automatically translated and also manually edited. But can we import the data for the second language?

Imagine there is 500+ projects with their carefully written descriptions in the second language. That’s a lot of copy pasting. Am I missing anything? Hope I am…

All the best!

I’d contact support on that, but I’ve not found anything that allows you to import localized content for either static pages or CMS pages.

For CMS pages what I’d expect to see is that when you are in the CMS view, switch to an alt-locale and then import CSV, the dialogs should;

• Indicate that the import will apply content to the selected locale
  • Indicate that the import will be update-only, no new records created

From what I can tell, the feature isn’t there yet.

There is some localization support through the v2 BETA API, but I think it’s targeted more towards the development of Webflow apps that run in-designer?

https://docs.developers.webflow.com/docs/working-with-localization

Some more notes and cautions that might be helpful when migrating an already-localized site.

1 Like

Thank you Michael. Yes I would have expected the same, an update of item not new records. I guess a feature request will take a long while. We wills see how things develop.
Thanks again for your prompt answer.

1 Like

I solved it!

Step 1: Import your CSV into your primary language CMS collection

Step 2: Then export the CSV immediately. (Now you will have the “Item IDs”) (You can use these to “update” all your content when you import into your second language)

Step 3: Open up that CSV in google sheets or equivalent. Then copy paste your second language into the sheet MAKING SURE that your second language items match the primary language items so you are coupling them with the correct item IDs.

• I did this by sorting the date from oldest to newest for both primary language CSV and my second language CSV - so then I could just copy paste the second language where the items would match up correctly.

Step 4: Simply import that new CSV into your second language CMS collection - you will have the option to “update” your CMS items

2 Likes

This is amazing to know, thank you very much for updating our thread!
Game changer.

1 Like

Hi @droptheoars,

I followed your steps but wasn’t able to make it work.
I can upload that CSV to my second locale but it’s not connecting the two locales, they’re independent in each locale.

Can you please confirm that it shows you the two locales in each CMS item, other than in my screenshot here, where it’s only one?:

Thank you!
Lydia

Hi @circlecut ,

I see both locales in each item as you mentioned. Only thing I can think of is the csv export columns for ID number and Locale number, maybe they failed? Locale should be different ID same.