How long does it take for the 301 redirect to take action?

I am working on a client to rebrand his website and his old site is already on the top of the list for google search. So I did a 301 redirect and I waited an hour to see if it took action/worked but His old website still pops up. Am I doing something wrong or does it take longer than a Day ( its only one page )

Hi Matt,

Your question is a bit confusing.

A 301 redirect on a Webflow hosted site takes effect immediately. Browsers often cache redirects so it can take a bit before your browser realizes it’s changed. In that case try a different device / browser / pc to check.

However-

• this has nothing to do with Google SERPs. Your 301 will not change what you see in Google for weeks or months, until Google re-indexes your site.
  • Webflow’s redirects only affect Webflow hosted sites. This won’t affect the “old site”, unless you’ve moved the domain to your new site.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and I have tried different pc/devices and clear the cache and still no changes. Here is the old website https://www.trinityinv.net/ and I’m trying to redirect it to this website https://trinity-insurance.webflow.io/

this is what I did in the settings as well.

if you could help me fix this I would be extremely happy.

Hi Matt,

Imagine you moved your house from 111 Main St. to 222 Main St.
A redirect is like a note taped to the front door of 111 Main, that says “we’ve moved, here’s our new address”

The only people that will see it are the ones who actually go to 111 Main St, and then get “redirected” to 222 Main St.

The problem is that in this setup, you’re trying to hang the sign on 222 Main’s door, and no one at 111 even knows about it.

Looking at the sites, I think you’re trying to fully replace the old website with the new one? If you’re ready to shut down the old site and bring your Webflow one live, then the next steps are;

• Add a site hosting plan to your Webflow site
  • Add the domain to your Webflow site
  • Optionally, add any redirects for paths that have changed from the old site’s design and the new site’s design, e.g. /contact-us/contact, only if they’re needed
  • Publish everything
  • Test everything
  • Shut down your old-site hosting