Google Tag Manager

Hi. I’m having a small issue inserting the Google Tag Manager code. I’ve inserted it through an embed, right after the opening body, but it looks like it’s getting wrapped in a div element, which tag manager does not want. Is there any way of inserting without a div? Here’s the notes on GTM:

tag must not be included in a
Google Tag Manager Tag should be placed immediately after the opening tag and not inside any other HTML element. The Google Tag Manager snippet must be placed directly in the page that you intend on tracking. Placing it in a hidden iframe or deploying it within another tag management system will prevent certain tags from accurately tracking the parent page. Tags added via Google Tag Manager may not fire. Please make sure to place the GTM snippet immediately after the opening tag. @thesergie Is there a possibility of getting a spot to included it via the dashboard setting, in the Analytics portion, instead of just the analytics code & site verification? I believe there was another thread talking about tagging. GTM, would allow you to tag any event or element you want. Thanks....Great job on the multi page too. Thanks for that.

I have an idea. You can use jQuery code to add it right after the body tag :wink:

<script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>   
<script>
var html_code = '<div>' + 
      '<p>Some text here</p>' + 
      '</div>';
    $(document).ready(function() {
     $('body').prepend(html_code);
    });
</script>

It is very important for you to remember, that jquery does understand new line as something separate. So if you want to add multiple line text it has to be inside quotation mark ' ' and with addition sign + between.

Awesome, I’ll give that a try and will post how it worked. Thank you @bartekkustra

Hi @bartekkustra. Looks like my first post got pretty messed up. I’m getting an error [object Object] showing up on the very top of the test site I’m trying to inject this to.
I’ve put in escapes for all the single quotes and the closing script. I’ve been looking at this and can’t figure out where it’s failing. Any help is really appreciated.

<script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

var html_code = '<!-- Google Tag Manager -->' +

'<noscript><iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-P12345" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe></noscript>' +

'<script>(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({\'gtm.start\': new Date().getTime(),event:\'gtm.js\'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],' +

'j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!=\'dataLayer\'?\'&l=\'+l:\'\';j.async=true;j.src=\'//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id=\'+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f);' +

'})(window,document,\'script\',\'dataLayer\',\'GTM-P12345\');<\/script>' +

'<!-- End Google Tag Manager -->';

});

Clean up the code, (line by line), paste CLEAN code here using CODE tag. I can’t help if its so messed up :wink:

Sorry, that was ugly. I’m a bit challenged lately.

Thanks

Could you please post the clean code without those backslashes before every quotation mark? That will be easier for me to prepare it for you :wink:

Here’s the code without any of my changes.

<!-- Google Tag Manager -->
<noscript><iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-P12345"
height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe></noscript>
<script>(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start':
new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src=
'//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f);
})(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-P12345');</script>
<!-- End Google Tag Manager -->

Thanks again for taking a look.

var html_code = "<!-- Google Tag Manager -->" + 
"<noscript><iframe src='//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-P12345' height='0' width='0' style='display:none;visibility:hidden'></iframe></noscript>" + 
"<script>(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start':new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'}); var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src= '//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-P12345');</script>" + 
"<!-- End Google Tag Manager -->";

Thanks. Quick question. When I paste the code into my editor, it looks like that last closing script, just before the End Google Tag Manager, is ending the script that starts just before the var statement. That /script needs to be included with the code. I haven’t tried it on the site yet.

**<script>**
(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-P12345');**</script>"** +
});
</script>
1 Like

This should work. I also haven’t tested it. You could also try to alert(html_code); to test if it looks good up there before you start to prepend it into body :wink:

<script>
"<noscript><iframe src='//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-P12345' height='0' width='0' style='display:none;visibility:hidden'></iframe></noscript>" + 
"<script>(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start':new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'}); var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src= '//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-P12345');</script>" + 
});

Hi @bartekkustra. Well it looks like I need to learn more javascript. It’s still not doing the prepend into the body so I thought I’d strip it down and try a basic version. I copied the original example you posted to me with just a couple div’s and the “Some text here” and that one didn’t prepend into the body either.

I’ve done a ton of searching (stackoverflow etc) and looked at lots of other code and just can’t see any errors.

Any other ideas I could try?

Thank you. I did get that to work to :slight_smile:

Here’s what I’m seeing when I run the full code:

" + “”; $(document).ready(function() { $(‘body’).prepend(html_code); });

It is in the head tag:

1 Like

I can’t get this to work? Has anyone been able to figure this out? The last closing script tag doesn’t work. I cant figure out how to attach this google tag manager…

Here is my site. https://preview.webflow.com/preview/insurance-nation?preview=b95c1a7106a57a4d100026bfb367c80f