Feedback after 2 years of professional use. Given up on webflow hosting and I'm honestly sceptical about webflows hosting model & sustainability

It’s very very good. One of my Webflows greatest features.

1 Like

Is there a link to demo it without buying a hosting package?

1 Like

Good question. I don’t believe so. But there are numerous videos on youtube. The concept is that you build database collections around content likely to grow (Blog Posts, Products, Employees, Projects). For the static content you also edit by point and click. I’ve had some very IT unfriendly people make use of it with little guidance.

With regards to bulk discounting for most loyal customers. That’s great, however, upon acquisition of new customers…I would think it would be paramount in turning them into loyal customers, how do you do that?..by putting money in their pockets. A junior designer deciding to take the plunge into freelancing will be quick to realize there are ALOT of moving parts even outside of building the actual sites. From setting up contracts for clients and all the “admin” things that come along with being independent to marketing yourself and everything in between. If they don’t hit the ground running and start putting money in their accounts quickly (especially recurring income) they are soon to become overwhelmed and give up. Bytheway, I’m describing my first stab at freelancing years ago. I was this designer, and I failed quickly. Luckily I’ve learned a lot since then and when I came back I was much more prepared.

In regards to hosting: [quote=“itbrian40, post:19, topic:38906”]
I fail to see how any Webflow hosting customers are making money using it.
[/quote]
I agree completely. I would be willing to pay twice as much as I do now for the tool itself as it’s THAT valuable to ME, not my clients. However, it is extremely difficult to make anything extra on the hosting side of things. Not impossible, but very difficult. Most of who I work with are small businesses who really don’t see anything other than the bottom line on monthly cost.

A new freelancer that is new to Webflow that has access to say $10-14/mo CMS hosting and could pass an upcharge to his/her client at 50% markup or more could relatively quickly build up some recurring cashflow in their first 3-6 months in the game. Seeing that it’s possible to actually pull this off (and all because of Webflow) would greatly increase their success and in turn, their longevity as a loyal customer of Webflow. As it stands, it’s very difficult for the new guy to break out. Make it possible for a new customer to make recurring revenue quickly, and they’ll stay.

I reference their main marketing video. This designer was me, I loved building sites but I highly doubt this guy is a seasoned sales professional…and Chuck represents the ideal small business client, stroking his beard in the background really not giving a damn as long as his site is neat. This designer would fail at upselling the current hosting to make a profit for himself. Maybe he would pay for sales training and read a ton of books on selling and knowing your customer (as I did) and would return in fury. Most would throw in the towel after realizing how hard it is to make recurring income in this game. And that’s most designers all want, to make a recurring income so we aren’t always chasing the next project.

I think Webflow isn’t tailored to this designer anymore. I love Webflow and I’m not leaving. But I think they need to remember their roots and purpose. Or make a new marketing video.

2 Likes

This. The tool is underpriced and the hosting is overpriced.

3 Likes

Do you really use 1TB of BW and utilize anywhere close to unlimited space ?

Or is that just a selling point from them.

I have some high traffic clients… and they don’t use that amount of space.

Maybe, but there are regular “non professionals” that will not look at it with the money making potential that we do, so it seems appropriately priced for obtaining both the pro and one-timer.

It’s nice making recurring income, but don’t forget that the subscription - however small the margin - is also there to facilitate a layer between you and your customer so you can up-sell them on new web trends, improvements, etc and keep a long-term relationship going.

Not at all, but it’s a selling point from them.

Aye, it’s just a matter of comparison.

Although I feel that anyone who progresses with webflow will begin to climb a ladder.

Getting started, 2 or 3 clients with $40+ in outgoings for hosting.
Stepping up the game, 10-15 clients with $200+ in outgoings for hosting.
High return, 50 clients = $750+ in outgoings, can reduce that down to <$100 in alternative solutions.

It’s a cliff that a lot of users seem to meet, and why I’m concerned about Webflow as a whole.

1 Like

You bring up some good points, let’s see what they come up with for the pricing of the bulk model they said they are looking into. Hopefully everyone walks away happy :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.