Domain Issues / DNS, Host Name and Value

Hi there webflow community,

I’ve almost finished my site, and i’ve added a custom domain to my website.

I’ve bought it from POP domain, it was actually by accident - though anyways, webflow is asking to change the CNAME to PROXY.WEBFLOW.COM which I have done - though the DNS settings on POP require a ‘host name’ which wasn’t provided or explain by webflow tutorials etc.

I have put www.webflow.com as the hostname and wondering if this is all correct? I’m very confused right now, hmmph. I’ve added a screenshot and hope that helps.

Cheers,
Julian

EDIT: I’ve just added this too, as i’ve seen some articles pointing out www. and also no www. before the domain name. Here’s the screenshot too.

Hi Julian first, here is our setup instruction:

http://help.webflow.com/custom-domain-setup

Second, your CNAME record host name should be something like “www.yourdomain.com” not “www.webflow.com

Third, you need to add two A Records, where host name is "@"and the IP addresses you need to add (two entries) is:

You make the above changes at your DNS provider control panel (first picture) and save your changes.

Fourth, go back into Webflow after DNS settings are updated, and add both the www.yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com to the Custom Domain setup in Webflow and Save Changes. Republish your site, and you should be good to go :smile:

Let us know if you have any issues. Cheers, Dave

Hey there Dave,

I ended up fixing it up, the POP domains weren’t very user friendly for DNS noobs.

I ended up going with DNSimple - affordable, effective little DNS management website that you guys mentioned in that post.

Thanks @cyberdave for the help

1 Like

Cool @juliansocial, glad to hear it. I am going to run a poll I think, to get a list of all the domain providers that are out there that are use by people. I know at least one case came up this week, for a dns provider that had some unusual DNS settings inputs in their control panel. We will make an effort to beef up our DNS provider specific instructions. Cheers !

Ideally, you’re wanting to provide domain purchasing in-software :wink: that would make life easier for everyone.

I’ll be involved in the poll! Good luck.

Just coming across this because I’m running in to the same issues. I keep getting the error from Webflow saying that “No DNS records found for: www.gyfm.org”.

This is the first time I’ve tried doing this on my own, so I’m very new to it all. I’ve tried following the instructions you suggested @cyberdave, but am still having the same issues. My domain is with Name Cheap. See attached screenshot for where I’m at with it all.

Any help would be huge! Thanks in advance.

Naph

Hi @naphtalim, thanks for the update. It looks like you have some older IP addresses used for the A Records, those have been changed: http://help.webflow.com/faq/where-do-i-edit-my-dns-settings

Also on the second A Record, you have as host set to WWW. Change that to @ like the first entry.

I would change those first, just change the IP addresses for the A Records, then save those changes. Then go back to Webflow and republish your site.

One bit of good news, once you change your IP addresses, the custom domain will be using the new fastly integration, and it does not cost extra and is automatic :slight_smile: Super Duper Fast Custom Domain Hosting - Webflow announcements - Forum | Webflow

Let me know if any issues :smile: Cheers,
Dave

Thanks @cyberdave. I tried what you suggested, but I’m still getting the same error. Below are some new screenshots. Again thanks for your help. Also, awesome news re the fastly integration!

Hi @naphtalim, thanks a lot for your update. Looking at the domain, all appears to be working correctly :slight_smile:

Can you try gyfm.org and www.gyfm.org now? It is displaying ok for me, and I checked the DNS, all looks good with the new IP addresses :smile:

Cheers,
Dave

@cyberdave… awesome! I guess it just took time to propagate? Thank you for you help on this!

Hi @naphtalim, yes, it looks like the propagation. If there is any issues feel free to reach out to me at support@webflow.com. :slight_smile: Cheers, Dave

This topic is now unlisted. It will no longer be displayed in any topic lists. The only way to access this topic is via direct link.