Can you override the collection template settings for a single page?

I am creating a website that uses the webflow CMS to show news articles. These consist of a main image, headline and body copy, but sometimes it would be handy to include a video or image gallery instead of the main image.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can override the design for some of these pages, without it affecting all of them?

Many thanks,
Graeme

I’m looking for a way to do this.

No.

However I do that on a site. I needed for certain posts, always the same, to be presented in a different way. As the posts are always the same (those posts are always presented differently), I altered how the collection is built. It’s a bit of a messy trick but it works.

So instead of having the following components for a news post:

• title
  • text
  • author

I have this:

• title
  • text
  • author
  • title-alt1
  • text-alt1
  • aythor-alt1

See where I’m going?

So in my template, I lay out the design for the first 3 components, I insure that if they are blank then nothing is displayed and there is no residual margin, paddings or white space, then underneath I layout the design for the -alt components… Now all my posts look the same and all my -alt post look differently.

What you’ll look for will come, I’m sure. May takes time, don’t wait for it, find another way :slight_smile:

1 Like

@GraemeC,
If I understand you correctly, you have articles where all have a main image, a headline, and body copy, but some may more may not have another image or a video. Correct?

If that’s the case, the easiest way to do it is to design the article area with your dynamic elements as if your article has all of the above. Then set the elements containing the optional videos and images to a conditional visibility. (An easy way to see how the elements’ not being there will affect the layout prior to setting your conditional visibility is just to turn the optional elements’ display to “none.”)

For example, if you have an element called “video wrap” that contains a dynamic link to a "video link field, select “video wrap” in your layout. Then go to Settings and under Conditional Visibility, select Element is Visible when “video link field” is “set.”

And do the same kind of thing for all your elements calling fields that are optional.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Amazing, that’s exactly what I needed to do, thank you both for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.