Be Careful when Using Images from Unsplash

Hey all, I’ve noticed that quite a few designers use images from Unsplash. However, if you’re using any of these images commercially, you may be inadvertently opening yourself up to liability and legal problems down the road, as many of the images on Unsplash do NOT have model or property releases (and Unsplash doesn’t actually make any effort to verify that the images DO have releases).

Just something to think about.

And if you’d like to learn more about the potential issues surrounding using images from Unsplash, I encourage you to watch this video from Zack Arias, a highly respected editorial and commercial photographer who knows what’s up (fair warning, he gets a little fired up and uses some unsavory language here and there, but his overall message is, in my opinion as a fellow photographer, an important one):

If you’re looking for a good stock photo agency from which to source images, I’d recommend Stocksy, which does an excellent job at making sure their images are legally useable, AND, they actually pay their stock contributors well. (No, I’m not a part of Stocksy - I just appreciate their approach to stock photography and their contributors.)

Anywho, just thought I’d throw this out there in case it might help anyone. :slight_smile: Cheers!

3 Likes