90% drop in traffic after domain move

Hi y’all

I have a problem with moving my website from one domain to the other. My website was on the domain shapewear-test.de and I’m moving it now to the domain curveland.com. I made the move about a week ago and have seen a drop in traffic of about 90%.

This is how I did the move:

1. Old website was in Webflow
  2. Created the new website in Webfolw
  3. Replaced the old Webflow page with a Wordpress Installation with 301 redirects to the new domain
  4. Indicated the domain move in the Google Search Console

The website has a new URL structure now. Previously the page was in German and now the main language is English. Meanwhile German is also available and I’ve 301 redirected all the pages from the old domain to the new German pages. Could this change in URL structure be the cause of the drop in traffic?

I would love to hear your thought!

Cheers,

Simon

Read Only Link New Page: Webflow - curveland

If it happened immediately, the problem isn’t SEO it’s either in;

• Your source traffic
  • Your redirects, or
  • Your measurement

You can see Google has not updated its index yet- your original site still shows, so all of the same organic traffic would be coming. Were you running any ad campaigns that you halted? e.g. Google Adwords won’t follow redirects.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ashapewear-test.de&sca_esv=eaa2892aadc17430&sxsrf=ACQVn0-0QIe31Rbv5vMpPttUEsCd5xxU7A%3A1712512878795&ei=bt8SZuuKMOGk2roP64W9IA&ved=0ahUKEwjr-cDO17CFAxVhklYBHetCDwQQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=site%3Ashapewear-test.de&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiFnNpdGU6c2hhcGV3ZWFyLXRlc3QuZGVIgxVQ-AxYzhJwAngAkAEAmAHDAaAB7QKqAQMwLjK4AQPIAQD4AQGYAgKgAg3CAg4QABiABBiKBRiGAxiwA5gDAIgGAZAGApIHATKgB5IB&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#ip=1

Your redirects appear to be working on a spot-check- clicking on these redirects to the new site properly.

Check to make certain your measurement tools are recording properly on the new site, that’s actually the most likely culprit.

1 Like