Workspaces, roles, and permissions - everything you need to know

Yep, I missed that part!

I was paid $60 a couple of weeks ago to take part in some user research on this. Iā€™m not suggesting that they should have listened to all my suggestions. But I donā€™t know why they wasted their money if this was all already planned. My main concern is that there are still no case uses for any of these plans. Itā€™s all completely abstract. But weā€™ve all been complaining about this for years, here and on Facebook and Twitter (and no doubt on Discords and Reddits), and Webflow doesnā€™t seem to care.

7 Likes

Code export is available on both the Core and Growth plans for a Workspace. Here are the expanded details from the pricing page. Hopefully that provides some more clarity.

will update the main post to include this chart image

With all due respect, Iā€™m not sure how we are expected to believe this given user feedback concerning functionality (i.e., the wishlist) has been largely sidestepped for literally a half-decade at this point. Instead we get this. Chalk me up as another individual who will be negatively affected by this move.

5 Likes

Thanks very much @matthewpmunger

As a freelancer myself, I understand. Feedback is important.

The blog post does mention some upcoming improvements to Workspaces which Iā€™ll paste below.

Additional improvements as part of this release

Weā€™ve also made a handful of improvements for all customers that should make your everyday workflows run a bit smoother.

Hereā€™s what else you can look forward to:

• Improved teammate management settings. See all of your Workspace teammates and individual site guest editors in one place under your team account settings.
  • Clone showcased sites to your Team or individual Workspace. You no longer need to transfer cloned showcased sites out of your individual account into your Team account ā€” simply choose which Workspace to clone your site into and get back to work.
  • Improved site transfer flow. Whenever you transfer sites to someone, theyā€™ll be more clearly notified and will now be able to choose which Workspace they want the site to end up in.ā€ (Note: For now, sites with Site Plans will still need to be disconnected and reconfigured upon transfer.) ā€
  • Purchase templates for any Workspace. Previously unavailable with Team accounts, the switch to Workspaces means youā€™ll now be able to buy and use templates.

Whatā€™s next for teamwork in Webflow

As we previewed at No-Code Conf 2021, todayā€™s release is only one step on our continued journey to improve how teams work in Webflow. Some of the exciting features and improvements weā€™re tackling next include:

• Per-site Designer access. Invite clients, contractors, and teammates to work in the Designer on one or several sites without giving them access to everything in your Workspace.
  • Site Activity log. Get a detailed look at important changes being made to your site with a log of whoā€™s publishing the site, editing styles or symbols, adding custom code, restoring backups, and more.
  • Commenting. Invite teammates, clients, and other stakeholders to leave comments on a per-element, per-breakpoint basis for quick iteration and feedback as you progress through a build.
1 Like

Every individual can own 1 free workspace and you can be part of workspaces paid by others. So it is possible to be a part of multiple workspaces for free.

Youā€™re absolutely right that trust has been lost because of the wishlist.

What are your needs concerning the Workspace features that are forcing you to a higher priced plan? Iā€™d like to hear more.

Think this is the beginning of something very good!
Explain this to me (as if I were 6 years old ā€¦ :rofl: )
I work at an advertising agency and we have many customersā€™ websites in our team. Will we be able to set up a ā€œworkspaceā€ for those customers who want to work in the designer? And that the customer has a free account and only accesses their site?
Can we do this with the growth plan?

1 Like

After another look, it appears not much would change aside from the higher price point overall. Iā€™m mostly concerned with the limited unhosted sites, but that seems like it would not change at the Lite vs. Core level. Iā€™d be happy to pay for unlimited but Iā€™ve always held back due to Webflowā€™s lack of addressing simple functionality improvements. And now to do that, the Pro vs. Growth plans is quite a leap.

6 Likes

Thank you for the explanation.

1 Like

Iā€™m not the OP, and correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but lets say I were a solo freelancer and I either:
A) have a bunch of clients sites duplicated and in draft for safe keeping acting as external backups
B) build cloneables for community use

My costs are rising by 40% for the unlimited account plan. I donā€™t have any other options that will work, and none of the benefits listed in this comment do anything for me as they are all related to multiple team members - aside from commenting, but who knows how many years that is from launching.

To be clear, I am not a solo freelancer - the benefits are very apparent for me as an agency owner and the price difference isnā€™t enough to turn me around - but I can absolutely understand why theyā€™d be upset if it were just one person running their own shop, having to deal with a 40% blow up in price for a distant promise of a commenting feature improvement.

15 Likes

It sounds like youā€™re referring to site-level access which is not part of todayā€™s Workspace announcement.

To keep clients from seeing each otherā€™s sites, a Workspace will be needed for each client needing Designer access. Whether the Workspace is hosted by you or the client is up to your arrangement and billing considerations, but for sure you would need at least two seats. One for you and one for the client inside their Workspace. If only 2-3 seats are needed then a Core plan will suffice.

Does that make sense?

And how do permissions work there?

I would hope that youā€™ll at least ā€œgrandfatherā€ the prices we pay currently for each Site Plan because this is going to be difficult to justify the price hike for my friends and clients (Iā€™m a freelancer with only a few paying clients, mostly whom are non-profit organizations and artists).

They already find their website super-expensive, especially when theyā€™re comparing it to all the ā€œfree Wix websiteā€ and cheap GoDaddy adsā€¦ not all of us have big, corporate clients, nor do I have the technical ability to redo all of these sites on a different platform altogether.

7 Likes

And weā€™ve all been screaming about CASE STUDIES (just like this one in your case) to SHOW us what these changes mean (not crappy pieces of paper that are supposed to be some sort of joke - on the video).

3 Likes

Site plans donā€™t seem to be changing in price. Which is nice.

Mine are, because I signed up quite a long time ago and used a coupon code. So if those will be ignored moving forward, then yes, all of my Site Plans will be increased as well (not to mention that Webflow bills in USD currency, so Iā€™m already paying more because of the conversionā€¦)

1 Like

Why are you trying to explain things on the forum that should be clear on the pricing page??
And no, it doesnā€™t make sense.
So if a client wants me to continue to work on their site after launch, weā€™re going to need a Site plan AND Workspace for that client??? So thatā€™s CORE + CMS = $ 54 a month???

2 Likes

Depends who is the Workspace owner. The owner pays for the seats in a Workspace used by the admins and members. If you are invited to a Workspace, there is no fee for you as an admin or member.

1 Like