Why are there 5 elements instead of just 1 in the Designer?

In the elements panel, we have:

1. Section

2. Container

3. Grid

4. Text block

5. Div block

I have seen so many webflow websites that use div block as a section and a container. Div block can be converted into a Grid with 1 click, or a text block with double click.

So what’s the point of having 5 elements instead of just 1 div block element?
Is it because of the ease of use?
Or, does it make a difference in terms of how clean a code is auto-written?

I know its a basic question, but I’ve been pondering over this thought for quite a while. Would somebody please care to explain the logic behind this?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @RohanGanachari

Section
The section element is just a section, not a div. Learn more here > HTML section Tag

When using a div you need to manually change the tag when you need to do it. It’s for semantic structure.

Container
Container is just a div with fixed width > 940px > Learn more here > Container | Webflow University

Grid
Grid is part from the CSS display property. You have two options:
1. Adding a div and manually setting to display Grid
2. Adding a Grid element > div with grid

The only difference here is when adding a regular div you need to set to display Grid manually.

Text Block
Just a div with some text inside. You can use both > adding a text block or double click a div to add a text. No difference. Using a text block can be faster because takes one step less > hitting enter/double click

Div block
Self-explanatory

Piter :webflow_heart:

@PeterDimitrov Thank you for replying. :slight_smile:

Section

How do you manually change the tag?

And with the remaining 3 elements, I suppose its just for ease of usage.

1 Like

Hey @RohanGanachari

To change elements tag you need to > https://www.loom.com/share/d79046b7b8d24feba23191d85b88d11f

Piter :webflow_heart:

1 Like

@PeterDimitrov Thank you so much for taking the time out to show that to me. I learnt something new today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No prob man! Happy to help :webflow_heart:

1 Like