What are the limitations of Webflow right now?

Having a road map would help a lot. I know they know. And they know we know. So that should be coming sometime soon I hope.

2 Likes

Great lists, multi language is huge though, also I have question: for what I am seeing right now, webflow is only suitable for building static landing page and small content driven website and do you think this is safe enough for starting a freelancing career with Webflow?

1 Like

@ludenstran Honestly, if you really have to ask, it’s usually “no”. But that’s not a matter of what webflow can do and cannot do, that’s more a matter of what you can do and how well you can build a business around your skills.

You should not run, nor start a business purely based on a platform or a toolset. Webflow is production ready for a huge market where you can most definitely have a successful business in.

And technically, webflow can be part of your pipeline for larger and more dynamic projects. If you build your responsive frontend layouts in webflow, export the code into your git codebase, do custom dynamics and backend, you’ve still got a really decent tool in webflow.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer, this year I go full freelancing so I really have to know what other can I do beside designing and Webflow really help me reduce the time working with developer to make everything correct.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I’m absolutely with you on this! I think the user system should be a part of ecommerce plan, and multilinguility should be a part of CMS plan.

What about scenarios where we need user accounts for private content that isn’t monetized? It should be tied to CMS, not eCommerce, in my humble opinion.

1 Like

Might be wrong on this one, but one limitation I really suffered of in recent days are the abillity to use multi-reference in two levels.

Example:
Collection “Album” → reference to collection “Songs” which in turn reference the collection “Instruments”.

I’d like to pull data from “Instruments” via the bindings showed above.

1 Like

You mean pull instruments on the album level, passing the songs reference just for it’s connection?

Yep, but so far the most jarring limitation is not being able to nest collections for creating navigation structures. I get the 20 collection limit for performance reasons, which is why I think something like an indexable CMS link structure would be great.

It would show up as a symbol or something, and pulls dynamic link destinations and names from specified sources, then you click “index”, and it builds a static link structure for publish like a table of contents in any publishing software from the data points you target. That way dynamic lists for the purpose of navigation structures never count against page limit or cause server load, and can easily be dynamically updated if you change a CMS page link or name by simply re-indexing.

In fact, I shall go add this to the wishlist right after I post this : )

Edit: Added it as a wishlist, vote on it here

1 Like

Yes, out of convenience it would be sweet to be able to pull data from collection Instruments to collection Album when collection Instruments and collection Songs already has a referencing field set up between them (as the instruments used on specific songs has already been referenced and collection Album, naturally, has a reference to collection Songs in order to show what songs there is on specific albums).

Now you have to set up a bunch of fields in collection Instruments in order to pull those instruments used specifically on that album. Then you have to filter it in order to get them to show up correctly when the filtering already has been made in collection Songs.

1 Like

For years asset management is my ongoing bug bear; it is virtually unusable on heavy image sites. It’s still at number 2 on the wishlist and I cannot believe many of the upgrades should have been done in preference to it.
I have done a number of fashion sites where images change 2/3 time a year, image deleting hundreds of images one by one?! And no folders? A nightmare.
I now have to use 3rd-party solutions for images, pretty much given up on using Webflow for anything other than ‘lite’ image sites.

2 Likes

Our design team has been using Webflow to completely build out pages on our marketing site, but the code is then exported and handed off to our engineering team so they can integrate it in our existing website.

Both the design and engineering teams would love to fully adopt Webflow as a solution for our marketing site, but the thing holding us back is the ability to have feature branches and multiple staging environments for internal review and testing. That would be a huge win.

1 Like

For me, I’d say that the most limiting factors in Webflow right now are:

1. inability to use digital purchases in the Ecommerce platform. ie. tickets, downloads, etc.
  2. you cannot access the cpanel/cdn for webflow. For example, I’ve been trying to integrate a jquery map plugin for about a month, but cannot because I cannot host the files on the server.
1 Like

FYI: you can upload javascript code as a text file (.txt) to assets, then call that file in custom code by using type=“text/javascript” thus overcoming the limitation.

3 Likes

Use netlify or github (google “create cdn from github”).

1 Like

We don’t know that…

I’m planning to set up multiple websites / projects to solve multilanguage…

Any limitations that come to your mind regarding this are appreciated.