Webflow Constantly Crashes "Deprecated Style Block State Changed"

Webflow (the Designer) keeps crashing, which is rendering it unusable.

Over the course of two days, Webflow crashed seven times, and I received seven emails, all of which included the following subject line: “Designer crashed after __DEPRECATED__STYLE_BLOCK_STATE_CHANGED.”

I have tried the usual fixes and workarounds, such as logging out and back into Webflow, working in incognito mode, disabling extensions, clearing browser cache, ensuring browser is up-to-date, etc.

I suspect this issue is related to changes in Webflow that have been implemented since I created the website, which was about 2 years ago. I believe that the functionality and UI have changed so much that some of the elements and attributes I originally used to create the website are obsolete. (For example, flex layout didn’t exist back then.) I could be wrong about this, but it fits with the email subject line mentioned above.

(I have submitted a support request, but the only possible way to report this issue is to classify it as a “bug” and support won’t “give a timeline” for resolving bugs. So, for now and indefinitely, I’m unable to use the product I’m paying for.)

I’m hoping that someone else has encountered this problem and found a solution other than re-building the entire site. (This project was supposed to be just a quick update.)

Has anyone seen this before and found a resolution?

If additional information would be helpful, let me know.

Thank you!

Here is my site Read-Only: Webflow - Nanatoo Update 07/19
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

@tkister - This certainly sounds like weird behavior. I don’t know if this will help resolve your issue, but it could help isolate it.

See if you can duplicate the project, then open the new copy and see if the issue persists. If you opened a ticket, you should be contacted by the support team soon.

Sorry you are experiencing issues. Wish I could be more helpful.

Thanks @webdev!

I was already working from a copy, but I copied it again just in case. I was able to make a few changes without it crashing, but it’s still exhibiting lots of strange behavior. I’ll have to spend some time working in the Designer to see if it crashes again. Hopefully, when we figure out why it keeps crashing, these other issues will get resolved.

Thanks again!

Update a few hours later:
I’ve been fixing individual weird things for a few hours now, with no crashing.

(Weird things include interactions that are visible on the published page, but don’t show up anywhere in the Interactions panel, including under Legacy Interactions; class selectors that don’t show up in the class selector list until you expand it, and then they show up twice and change randomly; external links that magically changed from the external URL entered in the Designer to an internal URL when published, etc.)

Basically, I’m rebuilding the site one element at a time, which is exactly what I didn’t want to have to do. Sadly, I think it’s time to consider switching a new platform that doesn’t consume so much of my time.

Time to take a look at my second website and see if it has the same issues…

Hi, @tkister!

Ben here with the Webflow Customer Support Team!

This is actually related to: Ctrl-Z Crashing Webflow - #8 by gp99

Our team was able to push out a fix for this yesterday and you shouldn’t be seeing this issue any more. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to assist you further!

@rileyrichter: It’s good news that the crashing has been fixed!

Unfortunately, I was hoping that fixing the crashing would fix all the other issues I’ve been having (such as the mysterious interactions, classes, and links mentioned above), and it hasn’t. I really hope I don’t have to troubleshoot and fix every one of these separately. When I started working on this, it was supposed to be a fairly simply update, not an extensive re-build or in-depth troubleshooting exercise.

:unamused:

Hi, @tkister!

Thanks for that additional information. I took a look earlier and I didn’t see these same things. :thinking: I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this and I want to do everything I can to help, but I’m going to need more information.

Would you be able to use a tool like Cloud App to provide me with a short video about what you’re seeing? Also, can you let me know which page the elements are on that are causing issues and what their names are and where they’re located?

More specifics would really help!

Also, if you could provide this additional information it would be very helpful.

(1) Try to reproduce the error while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off: Browse in private - Computer - Google Chrome Help

(2) If the problem persists, please take a screenshot of your Console and send it to me: How to get console

(3) Could you please let me know what browser version you’re using by sending me your information from this page https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Looking forward to hearing back! :webflow_heart:

Have you looked at my support request?

I have already told support that I’ve tried Incognito mode with extensions disabled, and I have sent the error reports, screen shots and screen caps, and other information.

Do you really need me to start over?

Still no crashing, which is good. :slightly_smiling_face:

Background: I created a site a couple of years ago. About nine days ago, I decided to split the old website into two new websites and make sure that everything was working correctly. That’s when I ran into several issues that seem to be the result of changes to Webflow that have been implemented since I created the original website.

I’ve taken a few hours to try and document everything. If you need additional information, let me know.

Here’s an updated read-only link for the website I’ve been spending the most time on (the one that was crashing): Webflow - Nanatoo Update 08/19

1. Issues

a. Interactions Not Showing Up
(Incognito Mode with Extensions Turned Off)

Note that this is happening on my second website. Read-only link: Webflow - tinamkister 07/25/19

This video shows me searching in the Interactions tab for the parallax effect that you can see when I scroll:
share.getcloudapp.com/4gu5AOB1
The good news is that the other interactions are now showing up under Legacy Interactions. (They did not show up before.)

b. Links Changing When Published (EDIT 7/26/19: Resolved – Manually updated links until the changes were saved.)
I already fixed this on one website by manually changing the links several times. For some reason, the most recent changes were saved, while the previous changes were not. This consisted of manually removing the hashtag that is automatically included for every link, often more than once to get the change to “stick.” So, this issue is resolved.
hashtag

c. Attributes Changing with Link (EDIT 7/26/19: Resolved – Fixed through trial and error.)
When I add the page link to the Home page, you can see the appearance (position) of the Home link changes. I can’t seem to find a reason for this… the spacing doesn’t change with the state change. (That is, in the Style panel, if I select a different link state, the numbers that indicate spacing remain the same.) Note that this, like the other behaviors described above, is new.
share.getcloudapp.com/jkuJreD1
share.getcloudapp.com/o0uky67j

d. Re-Naming Classes Removes All Attributes (Resolved)
No longer an issue.

e. Strange Behavior of Classes (Resolved)
I already mostly fixed this by rebuilding the problem areas. Class names were not showing up correctly, and classes would change randomly. (That is, I’d remove a class, and then it would show back up a few minutes later.) One image is still acting really weird (showing up in the Designer as a tiny image for about 10 seconds on first page load), which worries me, but the issue doesn’t show up on the published site, and I’m not able to capture it on video.

1. Console Screenshot
    share.getcloudapp.com/DOuje2e7

2. Browser Information
    share.getcloudapp.com/GGuLZ6x6

As an aside, I’m super unhappy that I have to spend so much time on this (that is, on getting a product I’ve paid for to work properly and helping Webflow figure out why it doesn’t work). I’ve lost several hours that I could have spent on paid work instead, and these issues are not the result of anything I’ve done (although I can’t promise that my attempts to fix them have been entirely successful). I would really appreciate some sort discount or special offer as a consolation prize. :stuck_out_tongue:

Update as of 7/26: Between the bug fix and a lot of work on my part, almost all of these issues have been resolved. The only remaining issue is the parallax interaction that doesn’t show up (1a in the list above). As a workaround, I have simply decided not to use the interaction.

Hi, @tkister!!

So glad to hear you have most of these resolved! I made a quick video to show you how to make changes to 1a. You can view it here:

CloudApp

:webflow_heart: Let me know if you have any other questions or issues! :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.