Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Using webflow merely for export

I was just curious whether anyone uses WF just for speeding up coding and exporting for use elsewhere.

At the moment I am looking at a couple of issues that may result in cancellation of my initial subscription.

1. lack of webp support
  2. lazy loading uses html property leaving 1 in 5 end users SOL
  3. Responsive images (srcset) apparently doesn’t work (at least it doesn’t for me)

However, all of these things I can sort out in the code myself and if they are the only things I have to sort, it may be worth my while keeping the sub if if speeds up workflow everywhere else, the I can just export the code, tweak and deploy.

Is this stupid? Does anyone else do this?

1 Like

I’m increasingly doing this because Webflow is too restrictive in a lot of areas. I’m actually starting to low-key move away from no-code as a concept and going into some-code.

3 Likes

I guess I’m curious how complicated it would be to override the native responsive images and code it myself, ditto using JS to do lazy loading with intersection observer and still use WF for deployment.

I’ve paid a month sub, so I have a while to find out, would prefer to use that to get to grips with the designer though.

I have sites where all the images are actually hosted with Cloudinary and through the use of Cloudinary’s API (JavaScript) responsive images are automatically generated. I get more control over the results, auto WEBP if I want it, and can easily manipulate the source file with endless modifications on the fly. I have used lazysizes in conjunction to handle Lazy Loading since Safari does not support native lazy loading with the “loading” parameter.

This does require code but at least the main image can be displayed in the designer since the src is populated in the code embed. I have found this the only solution if you want responsive images inside a rich text field with the CMS. Honestly when I wan’t this level of control I typically choose other solutions than Webflow since fighting the limitations is often too time consuming.

1 Like

Interesting point.

Do you know any other tool that can speed up managment and maintenance of stytlesheets?

That might be a good reason to opt out. I think other features are not yet at the appropriate level.

I was thinking of just coding the srcset for responsive images myself and using intersection observer for lazy loading (better browser coverage than attribute method) so by the sound of what you’re able to do, this ought be relatively simple. I’ve used custom code embed elements for CSS so far (being visible in the designer is preferable). Wondering if it works the same way for JS, will have to read some docs!

Negative to the title question. However, like your post suggests, we learn new things all the time from web sites and apps in the wild. It’s a really good idea, since there’s often a massive gap between what MDN says and what actually works in the majority of browsers in use.

Also :100: to @Fonsume 's comment of moving away from #nocode. There’s always #yescode somewhere. We frequently use Webflow to replace small-scale Wordpress sites and launch landing pages, but, ironically, every client we’ve set up with WF has wanted something custom that we’ve had to develop separately and host at a subdomain. It’s not Webflow’s fault, it’s just the nature of creativity.

Yep! Webflow’s tools are wonderful for quickly whipping up designs (I’m not a designer, so the easy tools really help me out) that I then can iterate on while I’m doing whatever I need to do in code. It’s been working out fine so far!