Unable to add CNAME for .app domain

Hey there,

I have created my first landing page for a new product I am working on, and am attempting to put it live on the basic hosting package. My domain is a .app domain and when I attempt to following the instructions at Connecting to a custom domain with Google Domains | Webflow University I am unable to complete them due to receiving the error “CNAME records for the root domain are not supported” when attempting to add the record “www CNAME proxy-ssl.webflow.com”.

Has anybody come across this before?

Thanks
Dan.

What DNS provider are you using?

@dannybster, it looks like the .app extension already has built in SSL security. This is the first TLD to have this built-in. You most likely will have to use the non-ssl CNAME

Try that and see what happens. Here is an article related to this: Google is launching .app domains, the first TLDs secured with built-in HTTPS – TechCrunch

Here is the Google link as well: https://get.app/

Hope that helps.

Google Domains, sorry missed this out of the original question.

Thanks for that! I have tried just using the A records as suggested in the webflow dashboard but the site just times out. How do I find the none ssl CNAME?

Turn off SSL on your hosting settings:

Then use the other A records and CNAME

1 Like

No joy, I am unable to add any CNAME. The Google Domains dashboard just gives the error “CNAME records for the root domain are not supported”.

It appears this is actually correct behaviour according to dns - Can't set "example.com" as a CNAME record? - Super User suggesting the documentation needs updating for top level “domain.app” type domains?

@dannybster - I would like to help resolve this issue. I just need the domain name you registered please so I can look at the zone data.

Sure, sorry thought I had included it in original question. Domain is tweaky.app

Thanks!

What is your desired config? Hosting www.tweaky.app as the default or tweaky.app?

1 Like

I’d like tweaky.app to be the default if possible, I have just set it to be default. According to my dashboard it should all be working (I’ve attached an image).

On Google DNS CNAME records cannot be set for the root domain.

Meaning you need to use www.tweaky.app as your default domain(or a different subdomain).

Please set your two A records to 34.193.69.252 & 34.193.204.92

Add a CNAME record
Set the host to www
Set the value to: proxy-ssl.webflow.com

Google automatically adds .app dns records to the HGST preload list, which browsers are configured to check. All hosts are required to support SSL connections.

Note : When you make changes to a resource record, It could take up to the length of the TTL time for the change to propagate. When you add a new resource record, it will be visible to Internet users in about 5 minutes.

1 Like

Hey :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe I am being slightly dense here but I have setup the A records and the status in Webflow is connected (although they won’t resolve). I am unable to set any CNAME in Google Domains so cannot add “www CNAME http://proxy-ssl.webflow.com

I receive the below warning regarding setting up CNAME (option 2) records from Webflow.

Thanks
Dan

You can’t include the protocol on the CNAME host. Just add the FQDN = proxy-ssl.webflow.com

Ah sorry that was a typo from the forum software treating it as a link when copying and pasting - did not include protocol.

Try following this video exactly. Let me know what happens. Use .com instead of .io in the video.

CloudApp

I know this works. I have a .app domain on Google domains with Google DNS. Just note that Google DNS does not allow for multiple A records pointing to @. So use the first one as shown.

CloudApp

You could always move your domain to Cloudflare. They support either configuration and domains are much cheaper(wholesale).

Ok had a go at this no joy but am unable to upload videos so have attached 2 screen shots. I have just spotted your message below and am likely to just move my domain over to DNSimple.

Would it be possible for you to screenshot the whole page (no left sidebar needed) page that shows the domain and all the other sections above? You could PM me with that if you don’t wish to share it publicly.

I would add a correction to my previous post regarding more than one A record data value. Google does support it. I missed the +. I have been running my own DNS infrastructures for many years and each interface is a little different. I’m used to VIM.

You really should open a ticket with Google. My settings show it can be done.

CloudApp

I have begun the transfer process over to DNSimple, it just seems “simpler” having done similar in the past. I am only using Google Domains because they offered .app TLD’s early.

I’ll let you know how it goes!