Trying to recreate the classic window95/98 start menu - can't seem to get the interactions quite right

READ ONLY Windows 95 Style Recreation

Hey everyone. I am trying to recreate the the old start menu from the 90s era Windows OS (Windows 95 / 98).
I’m having an issue with the interactions and I’m not sure what the issue is.

If you click the start button in the bottom left you reveal the first level of the classic windows menu. The idea is that when you mouseover the items with the arrows symbols, that the next level of the menu will appear. The issue I am having is I can’t seem to get the second level of the menu to persist when moving from the ‘programs’ item. When I attempt to move to the second level of the menu, the mouseout interaction will trigger which closes that second level of the menu and also removes the blue highlight/text color change on the menu item.

My read only link is located above if anyone would like to take a look at what I am describing.

So, I’m curious what’s going on here? I’ve been able to accomplish a similar effect before, but for whatever reason I cannot get the results I’m looking for.

Heya, what you describe isn’t what I see when I view your link, I see both the first level and second level menu open on page load, could you possibly have a caching issue?

I think that might be a bug when using a read-only link. if you leave preview mode and re-preview the site it loads how it should.

here is a link to the live site as well Published Site