Trying to fix some template design flaws

Hey everyone, I’m fairly green when it comes to webflow. Actually…I’m very green. I purchased a template that I’ve been diving pretty hard into but I have definitely found some quirks on the template that need fixing…And I can’t figure out how to do it. So I figured instead of spending the next few days clicking everything I can possibly find that might make sense, I’d ask the forums. If anyone could help me out I would be greatly appreciative. Here are the things that I’d like to fix:

1. The “Videos” button in the footer. Every other button redirects you properly but this one. If you’re on the homepage and click “videos” in the footer, it takes you nowhere. If you open a page say “press kit” and click “videos” in the footer from there, it will actually redirect you to the template website (this will also happen on almost every other subpage on the site). I’m assuming there was never a “video” page created in this template for redirecting. If I could just have this button send you back to the home screen and navigate you to the “videos” section that would be enough for me…I doesn’t need to take you to a videos subpage (although this would be best case scenario since the rest of the website works this way). Is there an easy way of doing either of these things?

2. I’d like to add another social media button. This isn’t dire…but it would be nice.

3. On the homepage, the background text of “MUSIC” and “MERCH” are both at the bottom, while “SHOWS” is at the top…This needs to be uniform with the rest of the page.

I reached out to the creator of the template but I never received a response unfortunately.

Thank you so much for your time and help on this!

Here is my site Read-Only: [LINK][1]

Hey @kn4kk

Happy to help. Here’s how you can adjust the things you mentioned to meet your needs. If you’d like to clarify #2 further, then I’ll be able to help further with that ones.

1. To edit this link, double click to edit the footer symbol then select the link. Change the link settings to external link with a url of /#videos. This will take the visitor to the Videos section of the homepage no matter where they are on the site.

1. Can you explain where you would like this button to be and what the destination is? I see a bunch of social icon links in the navigation and footer elements. You can add a button from the add panel and then give it the class of nav link + button to match the styling of the site.

2. Select the background heading text element and adjust the positioning. Here I changed the position to absolute to move it to the bottom. Then adjust the bottom positioning to get it exactly where you want it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

1 Like

Hey, thank you so much for the response @matthewpmunger
Moving that BG image was easier than I thought. I’ve been trying to drag it for days and I just couldn’t figure out what to do.

For #2, all I was really hoping to do was to add another little social media icon next to the preexisting icons on the Footer and Navbar. I tried to create a button and drag/drop it but it says the icons are part of a grouping and you can’t drag there so I gave up on that idea. Not super important.

As far as the videos button goes, I can’t seem to get it to work. I’ve tried /#videos and /videos. All of the other buttons have had pages premade to redirect to in the nav link (for example, Type: Page, Page: Music instead of using External Link) whereas there was never a “video” pages made. I think the way you explained it would be the easiest solution but when I use those links, the website doesn’t do anything.

It’s funny…you spend money on these templates expecting them to work properly and then you’re left spending hours on forums trying to fix the built in issues that were never remedied.

Thanks again for your time and patience with this. I appreciate all of the help I can get.

Do you have a published link that I can use to investigate further? The /#videos link won’t preview in the Designer. It’s necessary to test that on a live published site.

1 Like

Hey @matthewpmunger I do!

Let me know if this works…I just published it. I haven’t published it to paulknakk.com yet though since it’s not totally finished.

https://paul-knakk-official.webflow.io/

Thanks for reaching back out to me!

Thanks for the published link. I recorded a video for you showing /#videos working on the site and how to ensure the template is setup properly. Hope this helps solve it for you.

2 Likes

@matthewpmunger

First, outstanding video. Sorry for the delay in my response, I work weekends and haven’t been able to sit-down and dive back into my site until tonight. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to explain all of these things. I learned a ton from your video and walkthrough. I was nervous at first when I learned that Webflow doesn’t have a direct customer support line but this forum and your responses have been outstanding.

With that said, after a bit (a lot) of troubleshooting I figured out this issue…

When I’m in “preview” mode on the editor, for whatever reason, clicking my “videos” button doesn’t do anything on any of the pages except for when I’m on the homepage where I set the navlink in the navbar / footer to “Type: Section, Section: videos” Anywhere it’s set to “External Link” is just a dead button.

Now…If I go to the actual site after publishing (instead of simply hitting preview in the editor), it works exactly the way you have explained it in the video. This is weird because all of the other buttons in the navbar and footer work the exact same in the preview as they do on the site. I believe the videos button is fixed and functional in all locations now. It still only works on the live site and not the editor / preview mode, but all that matters is that it’s working.

Regarding the social icons, I’m sure this is an easy fix and I tried to find it myself by flipping through menus and submenus but I wasn’t successful. I copied / pasted the icons at the top after creating a new link in the press kit. Everything seems that it would work fine except that I don’t know how to ungroup these icons (old icon & copied version). Spotify is the original icon and Twitch is the icon that I created by copy / paste.
Social Icon Grouping

Not sure if these have anything to do with it, but I figured I’d add it regardless.

Twitch Link Connections

Anyway, I don’t want to take up too much of your time. I’m sure I’ll have more questions when it comes to setting up the ecommerce shop and whatnot as I have never had one of those build into my website before…but I’ll save that for another time.

Again, thank you for your help. You’ve saved a ton of frustration with your responses and patience.

Read-Only Link: Webflow - Paul Knakk Official

1 Like

Re: Support

Coming to the forum with your questions is the right thing in this instance. Contacting support is for issues with sites, accounts, and bugs. Things like that. If it’s to learn or ask questions about design and implementation then the forum is the place.

When you do need to contact support by email support@webflow.com or try the new chat service from your Dashboard.

1 Like

This is expected. The /#videos url will only work properly on the published site for technical reasons.

You need to copy/paste the link which is the parent element of the icon. This will duplicate the link and the icon together. What you’re seeing is two icons inside the same link block.

Hope this helps :raised_hands:

1 Like

I didn’t know that it only works on the published site, I’ll make sure to check things there before I assume anything isn’t working again, haha.

Copy and pasting that worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

I have another question for you if you don’t mind. Is there any way to deactivate or hide the store section of my home page and the store subpage for the time being? I could make this site live pretty soon aside from that section.

Thank you!

Hey @kn4kk got another video for you showing how hide the ecommerce elements, adjust SEO, and some other Webflow tips.

Watch the video

1 Like

Dude, I have no idea how I was lucky enough to have you respond to my forum post originally but man am I grateful. Another outstanding video and walkthrough. Not only did you answer the questions that I had but you also came across a few other things in the website that I didn’t even mention (that I’ve also been having some issues with but haven’t thrown in the towel on troubleshooting yet). Webflow as a platform is unbelievable. Watching you teach this stuff is great because there are so many “ah-ha” moments. As soon as you added the hidden element I knew what we were going to do next just from watching the other video you had posted. It’s something so simple…I just didn’t know how to initiate that process.

The SEO profile picture for starters…LOL. Every time I send the draft of this site to a friend of mine to go over, the first question I get is “who the hell is this guy?” :joy: I figured what I’d have to do was create a dropbox share link and post that…Had no idea that once they’re uploaded into the site they all have their own links that I can pull from.

Also, I had to laugh when you found that there are multiple navbars and footers on this template. I’ve even emailed the creator of the template to ask what the deal is with this. When I first opened the template every social icon was a white block on every page and every time I would change one, they would only change in certain places. I’m over here like…There’s no way I actually have to go in and change every single block on this site. So one of the first things I had to do after I opening this template was manually go in and change each social media icon on 3-4 different pages until they were all uniform or until I found more blank blocks somewhere (mobile template dropdown menu for example).

Once again, thank you so much.

It’s my pleasure! So glad that I could help solve the issues and blockers that you were experiencing and help you learn along the way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.