Subdomain DNS mapping to Webflow Site Pages

I’ve got a site structure that relies heavily on sub-domains (landing pages, event sign-up pages, whitepaper downloads, customer-specific pages etc) and want to be able to map my DNS host (netlify) into specific webflow pages. For example:

subdomain.domain.io will map to domain-io.webflow.io/subdomain

I realize the correct method would be to set up separate projects for each subdomain, but that feels financially and logistically too high of a hurdle, given the number of subdomains. Any tips? Is it as simple as a single CNAME?

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

If your DNS is running on Cloudflare DNS, you can use Rules to redirect specific patterns, including subdomain patterns exactly as you’ve described.

If your DNS is not on Cloudflare, it’s very easy to migrate it, and offers a free level plan that includes 3 rules. I use it for more than 100 clients now, because separating the DNS from the domain registrar gives me a ton of migration flexibility.

Hey @memetican, thanks for the knowledge and the high-level lulz.

My DNS management is with Netlify, with the registrar at Google Domains. Not sure if this still mandates my needing to migrate to Cloudflare, as you referenced the setting of the rules…

As mentioned, needing to map several dozen instances of subdomains to aliases (?), which are a sub-level page within weblfow. A nice-to-have would be to mask the webflow URL and only have the subdomain URL shown in SEO / search results, but that’s a secondary task to just getting the mapping correct and being able to manage this.

Thanks!

The major DNS providers should all have something similar- I just happen to use Cloudflare a lot. Here’s Netlify’s docs;

I think you’re saying that you want to have e.g. potatoes.mystore.com direct people to e.g. mystore.com/potatoes, and to have it so that no one ever sees the URL mystore.com/potatoes.

The short answer is, no the web isn’t really built to work that way. You could build a proxy system, or a site that IFRAMEs your target content, and you could use canonical urls to try to manage Google’s displayed results. I used to play with these things all the time, but it’s against the natural order of things. You’ll find a lot of “wait everything broke” situations.

You probably will want to step back and ask yourself why you’re considering this. If it’s to have e.g. marketing pages for special campaigns, then you might want to use something like Leadpages for those, and keep them independent of your main site.

1 Like

Thanks for you help @memetican – I’ll apply the proxies and see where that takes me. Good reflection on the use of iframes and such, I get the sentiment that these redirects are counter-productive to everyone.

nc

To close, I used a proxy to direct potatoes.mystore.com to webflow.com/mystore/potatoes, with the URL staying potatoes.

I haven’t resolved how to best treat the webflow URL being displayed on SEO results, but will post any progress made on this.

Ah got it, if you have not yet, check out David Mattham’s excellent reverse proxy solution.