Struggling with a company name

Ooooh I like that one a lot!! Dude check that domain… yes that’s a nice one.

startuptosuccess.com is taken and startup2success.com is 1,500 bucks. That’s a no go for me :frowning:

This is good stuff, thanks.

I’m starting my own shop because I’ve found that I will move to a new startup, really enjoy the process of getting everything all set up and the excitement of building a marketing machine. However, I start to lose interest, or get bored of the product or service after about 1 year to 18months.

I realized during a meditation session about 6 months ago that this was because I was working for other people, not towards my own vision.

I’ve run marketing for 5 startups in the last 7 years, mostly B2B. That is where my expertise is. I know how to take small B2B startup and make it seem much larger, and build a lead funnel to pass marketing qualified leads off to sales.

There are plenty of agencies out there, no doubt about it. But I think the particular focus on B2B startups that are in their A or B rounds, will make me more appealing to those companies, especially ones that can’t afford the big guys.

I don’t want to be the face of the company, I don’t think my personality is conducive. That’s not to say I can’t blog and vlog… I am good at that. But I’m no Gary V.

I am only starting this on my own until I have a portfolio and can bring on other people, probably account managers and maybe an operations person.

I actually wrote a LinkedIn article about my decision the other day. It got some great feedback https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-i-am-striking-out-my-own-mark-lerner

there we go! Great story!

like it or not, we are the face of your company. Unless someone else is running your company, YOU are the face. Own up to it and be confident about your company. Just like a handshake, if its not confident, people won’t have a good first impression.

YOU GOT THIS!

Now, next question. Is your company gonna have a serious tone or fun casual tone?

Given that it’s B2B, I think it’s going to have to be more serious.

In my experience (and this is not across the board), founders of B2B startups tend to be in their 30s and 40s, are very tech-savvy, and are extremely serious about numbers. They want results, no fluffy bullshit.

What of growscalewinscom, you can try that out or go for .info

I guess I don’t mind being the face, per se. I just don’t want it to be about ME, it should be about THEM. I want to take the Neil Patel approach of giving actionable tips and tricks, rather than talking about myself.

I do like to get personal once in a while, like I did with that LinkedIn article. But I don’t think I could sustain that on a regular basis.

The reason I want to get this name thing worked out ASAP is that I have already started adding blog content to the site, and I want to start distributing it. My goal is to write a post a day, and start a vlog soon (that I will repurpose into a podcast).

growscalewin.com is available and not expensive.

There is a site with a similar name, but it looks like it’s one guy who is selling a course or a book https://buildgrowscale.com/ - that’s my only concern.

from your story i see these words:

new
fresh
ignite
clear
path
crystal
structure
up

from a new father to another new father, good luck! :smiley:

I target a lot of the .net’s and .info.

Yes… everyone know about .com…
For me… it doesn’t really matter about the extension.
We still get a lot of traffic.

Then go for it why do you care what he does with his site

Only that he comes up #1 when you do a google search for “Grow Scale Win”

That’s really bad but you need good SEO then

Yeh, I’m just not sure I want to start that kind of seo “war” off the bat.

Who knew coming up with a name would be this difficult? (Sarcasm)

as an seo person… I start wars all the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

just fyi…
in reviewing that website… he’s beatable
but you need well structured content in order to do it.

“Mission: Scale”
missionscale.com is available.

thoughts?

@PixelGeek - These posts get picked up by google?

yes they do… see my SEO comments about the Samsung Chromebook Pro

I did that on purpose (the Samsung comments)… so they would get indexed.

That’s also why I’m very careful about posting links or any identifying information that can be traced back to my clients - because a couple clients have traced the conversations - back here.

1 Like

How about that for a name?