Showing specific items in a dynamic list inside a dynamic page template

Hi all,

I am sure there must be an easy way to do this, but I can’t figure it out, so any help is appreciated. Here’s the situation:

1. I have a collection which contains a list of car models, manufactured by a particular car maker - e.g. Nissan Altima, Honda Civic etc.

2. I have another collection which has each of the car makers, together with supporting information.

What I want to do is to build a dynamic template off of collection 2 (so a page that features each of the car makers) - within that template, I then want a dynamic list that references items from collection 1, but also only shows certain items based on whether the car is made by the specific car maker referenced in collection 2.

I can’t figure out how to do this, as when I enter a dynamic list for collection 1 in the page template for collection 2, I can’t choose to filter that collection 1 list by criteria set in collection 2. I realize this might be complicated, so let me share an example.

Say I have three cars in collection 1

• Nissan Altima
  • Subaru Forester
  • Honda Civic

I then have three car makers in collection 2

• Nissan
  • Subaru
  • Honda

I create a dynamic page template for collection 2. When I want to show Nissan, I want to enter a dynamic list item that shows all the content in collection 1 that has “Nissan” as the car maker - I do not want to show Honda or Subaru.

In other words, as the car maker changes in the template, I only want to show items from collection 1 that are relevant to that maker.

Is there an easy way to do this, please?

Thanks!

Hey @Paul_Maplesden

If you can share your read-only link, that is always helpful for the community to answer your questions with the greatest accuracy.

Based on what you have explained, it is possible to do.

• In the Collection2 add a Single-Reference field and connect it to Collection1
  • Update the items in Collection1 to reference the appropriate items in Collection2
  • On the Colelction2 template page insert a collection list and connect to Collection1
  • In the filters (setting panel) for Collection1 filter by the Single-Reference field to only show items that contain the “current Collection2 item”

Here’s an example of a dynamic filter relationship. The top drop down is the Single-Reference Field and the bottom is telling it to match the current collection item.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please provide your project’s link and I’ll be happy to take a look at your setup.

2 Likes

Thanks very much - I will give that a try - I knew it had to be possible! thanks a lot.