SEO and an Unlisted Blog

Articles are a great way to increase SEO, and I would love to have a blog page dedicated to this. The only thing is I want to use the articles for SEO purposes only, and do not want to post a public link to the page.

Does anyone know if doing this is would affect SEO? Or does Google’s web crawlers only find those articles if they are linked directly into the site?

I am assuming that since it is on a page, it would be nexted in the site XML, would that suffice?

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

That’s not how SEO works. When someone searches a term in Google they display results that link to actual pages, for example an article page that is relevant for a particular search term, not links that just all go to your home page.

There are a lot of factors that go into SEO page ranking authority and a large one is having other credible sites link you your article pages. The more “external” pages that link to your article page the more it signals to Google that this is an important page for that topic. If your pages are hidden that can’t happen.

A web crawler is less likely to find pages that are not linked to anything else. A web crawler “crawls” by following links from one page to another.

The idea of articles helping SEO is that the article is easy for Google and users to find and then when users are on your article page they may navigate to other areas of your site. With enough good content on your site your “domain authority” increases and Google is more likely to send traffic your way.

There are “on page” factors that affect SEO rankings and “off page” factors. Both these things need to work together to achieve high rankings in search engine results. Understanding the way SEO rankings work is quite complex and not something that can be fully explained in a short forum post. I wrote a 100 page corporate SEO strategy for my firm to help stakeholders understand what actions are necessary to improve SEO rankings.

If you want to increase your SEO ranking I would recommend taking a video course to understand all the things that you can do to help. LinkedIn learning has a lot of great courses.

Here is a 10 hour course that will get you started :slight_smile:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/paths/become-an-seo-expert

So that’s not entirely true… the web crawler looks less at the links on the page and instead looks more at the sitemap.xml. You can add the blog pages to the sitemap without the blogs having a link on the main site.

The subdomain would be part of the sitemap to help with SEO and not be easily accessible for users to click on.

As I said. It is not possible to cover every possible nuance regarding SEO in one short forum message.

Google knows when a page is not connected to the rest of your site - sitemap or not.

Google considers unlinked pages to be “orphaned pages”. You may want to do some research on the effects of orphaned pages on SEO before adding them to your site.

Here’s a quick post to get you started.

I would still maintain that the suggested approach by the original poster is not advisable for increasing SEO and some people believe that orphaned pages may actually have a negative effect on SEO.

1 Like

I am sure it would be fantastic for you to share your ideas in the online area. Therefore, I am sure there are plenty of ways to hide your content to see how the SEO would work. However, maybe you want them hidden because you’ve stolen them? If it is like that, the browser will not allow something copy-pasted to be given twice. If you wish your SEO methods to work, you must be unique. To accomplish this mission, I always use Duplicate Content Checker | SEO Website Copy Plagiarism Detector. I have known so many people whose sites had drowned just because of an article taken from others, so be honest and careful with what you publish online.