Streaming live at 10am (PST)

RESOLVED: Restoring a version reverts some link settings to that of a much older version

I’ve noticed a Webflow bug on at least 3 occasions when restoring to a previous saved version of my site. Certain links get “broken” and point to an older folder that was password-protected, despite that:

  • said folder was renamed a long time ago, certainly before the restore date, and
  • those links were not broken on the date we’re supposedly restoring from!

I’m almost positive this is tied to restoring previous versions.

When this happens I have to go through the ENTIRE site and look for broken links, and IT DOESN’T SHOW THEM AS BROKEN IN THE DESIGNER — you can only tell on the live site.

Here are the steps that seemed to have contributed:

  1. Make site at top level of domain (Webflow-hosted).
  2. Make links. Some of them are made using (for example) “/privacy” instead of selecting the Privacy page from the dropdown, because the Privacy page has not been made yet! Others are made using the dropdown to select an existing page.
  3. Move site (all pages) to a folder and password protect it.
  4. Make tons of changes for weeks. More links, blah blah blah.
  5. Launch the site by moving all the pages out of the password-protected folder called /a/. Check the links to make sure they all work. They do! (Multiple people checked these btw.)
  6. Do lots more changes over the next 2 weeks.
  7. Run into an issue where you need to roll back to a previous version from a couple days before (note: NOT two weeks before).
  8. Publish.
  9. Check links. Wtf, some of the links are randomly pointing to “” when they should be pointing to “” (/a/ being the password-protected folder).
  10. Rapidly check all the links on the site (and discover/fix a seemingly random quantity of broken ones) and hope nobody encountered this while you didn’t notice it.

Also of note: Sometimes these broken links were in a Symbol, often they were not.

Hi @MarkBult

Thank you for reaching out and for bringing this to our attention! This definitely sounds like strange behavior - I’m looking into it now with our team - as soon as I have more information, I’ll let you know immediately!

Can you please provide some more details so we can see why the issue is occurring?

  • What site(s) are you seeing this issue occur in? Can you please share a read-only link of the site(s)?

  • When did it start occurring?

  • Do the links change back to the correct ones once you restore to the pre-restore backup?

Can you also please check the following:

  • What browser are you using and is your browser up-to-date? Does the issue reoccur after you update your browser?
  • Does the issue reoccur after you try a hard refresh on the site?
  • Are you experiencing the same issues while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off?
  • Are there any red errors in the console during the restoration? If yes, please take a screenshot of your Console and send it to me.

Any information that you can provide, can help us resolve the issue faster.

Thanks in advance for your patience, understanding, and cooperation!

Standing by for more details from your end!

Kind regards,

  • Read-only link:
  • Has been occurring intermittently (I’d say about half the times I start Webflow, maybe more), for about the last 6-8 weeks, perhaps longer.
  • I haven’t restored a pre-restore backup, so I don’t know. I just fix the links, so I don’t lose my other work.
  • Browser: Safari Version 11.0 (12604.
  • I haven’t tried a hard-refresh yet.
  • I logged in today using Private Browsing (Safari’s Incognito) and no error, but as I said, this is intermittent.
  • Haven’t looked at Console yet. Will do next time I see the error.

Hi @MarkBult

Thanks for providing all the details and the read-only link. I sent them over to the team and we’re woking on a fix.

I’ll update you here as soon as I have more details and when we push a fix for this issue.

At this time, you need to manually fix the links and publish the site.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

1 Like

I am having the same problem.

My links have all reverted to links from two website generations before!

(I built site A, then cloned it to create site B, then cloned site B to create site C. My links on site C have reverted to site A!)

Restoring the pre-restore version does not fix.
A hard-refresh does not fix.

This happened to me last week and I spent over an hour fixing links. Very upset that I need to do it again :frowning:

I would strongly recommend that everyone AVOID RESTORING.

1 Like

Hi @arulz

I already responded to your email. We are still working on fixing this high-priority issue and I’ll post here as soon as I have any updates. And yes, until we fix the issue, we advise you not to restore your site.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

Kindest regards,

Hi @arulz @MarkBult Thank you so much for your help, patience and understanding. We just pushed a fix for this broken link bug in site restore points. Everything is working as expected during testing.

​Please let me know if this solves the problem.

If not, I’m happy to help further! :bowing_man: