Redirect to new domain

Hi there,

because of a name change of my client, I have now a new domain.

Old: www.eich-anwalt.de
New: www.hartmann-anwaeltin.de

What I now did was:

1. I added the new domain to webflow, which means the page is currently online for both domains.
  2. I took one page (/anwaeltin) and changed the link from internal to external (Rechtsanwalt Gießen | Kanzlei Eich | Anwältin), so if people visit the page under the old domain and click on that page link, they are redirected to the page under the new domain.
  3. I changed the 301 redirect from previously transferring to /anwaeltin to an external link under the new domain + /anwaeltin.
  4. I am planning to continue with approach 2+3 with more and more pages over time, until the new domain has reached some page rank and is noticed in google.

HOWEVER: How do you suggest to do the final step? At one point i need to do a 301 for the main page (“/”). How is this doable in webflow? In fact, i want that all external link are redirected to my new domain as soon as i am taking the old domain offline.

Thanks in advance
Clemens

try setting your default domain name:

hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi there,

What does changing the default actually do? Is this a 310 redirect that will transfer all clicks from the old domain to the new one?

To phrase it differently: a solution to my problem could be to create a new webflow page for the old domain and create a 310 redirect to the new domain. This, however, is connected with additional hosting fees that I want to avoid.

Thanks for your support!

Clemens

If all of your domains A-Records and CNAME are pointing to Webflow, then yes, “default domain” option in Webflow will redirect everything for you. :slight_smile: