Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Particles.js burning up my computer

Hey friends. So if I visit particles.js - A lightweight JavaScript library for creating particles it burns up my computer. I was wondering if someone could let me know if you’re having the same type of issue. Or if you’re having the same CPU consumption . It claims to be lightweight, but it’s heavy for me straight from the site.

Basically I’m trying to figure out if this issue is caused by the js or if it’s my computer. I don’t think this computer was ever turned off in the 6 years. :flushed: She’s giving out, but I’m very pleased with her. She’s given me more than I paid for. This is my computer we’re talking about.

It truly amazes me that my 2015 Macbook Pro chugged all the way up to the M1 Pro announcement. And you damn skippy I ordered mine on the 18th at 11:01am. :muscle: Apple took everyone’s holiday money. :rofl:

hi @dannyFig there is a bit misunderstanding what lightweight mean. If code is described as lightweight this mean that is very small. In this case whole script is 22.8 KB minified, uncompressed and doesn’t have any dependencies.

You can’t expect low level rendering calculation (CPU computing) of hundreds elements moving around in real time. When you trying to apply any interactivity or animation heavy on CPU you have to keep in mind that people are visiting pages even from older and weaker computers.

Congrats to your new MB PRO finally they decided give back variety of connection sockets.

But to be honest beside my macOS laptops, my main station is based on 2012 mac with 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Until now have no problem with graphics (using Affinity). But I do not make heavy photo editing so I’m fine. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for that. Makes sense. I have/had some great ideas with those particles, but I’m going to have to rethink some of it. I’ve been using the library and finally realized that it was probably the culprit of my poor performance. I’ve been able to tame it a little recently, so I should be able to use some of it and not kill the end user’s data consumption.

I’m a big believer that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Sorry for the over enthusiasm and I realize not everyone has the means to make such a purchase. It can be challenging for some at this time in our history. There are also those who don’t like  and don’t mean to start a PC war. lol. I’m pretty giddy about the load this new mac can handle. Along with Webflow, I use Ableton Live, Illustrator (Preferably Affinity Designer), and Adobe Premier (Preferably DaVinci). Not at the same time of course. I should be able to have a couple apps more open with the new machine. I try not to have open what I don’t need, but sometimes I need a few things open for my workflow. I’m going from 16 to 66 billion transistors and that’s a significant jump that made the jump worth it. Love the SD card slot. If it wasn’t for these discounts it would have been super rough for me. They gave me $530 for my 2015 and $250 off for an educational discount. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

hi @dannyFig nothing is stopping you form creating some heavy lifting websites (particles aren too bad), just look eg. on https://threejs.org to see what is possible but until now these are mainly experimental pages without commercial use. I thing that this will change with 5G but again not everyone will have access to it from day one.

BTW website design have fashion seasons like in music production sound of kick-drum, so it is always good to be familiar what is currently in, not to use it but to be familiar and particles were IN like approx. 5 years ago. But it is alway good to make some small side projects in pure code to be familiar how they works.

Other art and experimental projects

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.