Pagination Issues

Firstly thanks for providing pagination, great addition!

I have however found a couple of issues that are small but may impact user experience.

1. When attempting to click the ‘next’ and ‘previous’ buttons it only appears to be the bottom half that is clickable and not the whole button.

Has anyone else experienced this or have I done something wrong? I’d say the whole button should be clickable.

1. When you click the next button it loads up the new url variable e.g. page=2. However it also takes me to the top of the page. The placement of my CMS collection is further down the page so I then have to scroll down to find where I was and see the next page.

Again, have I done something wrong here? Maybe it’s not possible to be any other way. It’s not the end of the world but again it would impact user experience.

Thanks

Here is my site Read-Only: Link

Here is the page in question: Page

1 Like

Anyone else brought this up?

I don’t see that issue. The button and link is rendering normal to me. You might need to share a screenshot.

You could add an ID to the element you wish to target (scroll to ) for the pagination and append the #linkname to the URL generated by the pagination button with JQuery (since it is already there) or vanilla JavaScript.

Actually the button is also working correctly for me now as well :blush: not sure what was happening before.

With regards to JQuery or vanilla JavaScript that might be above my head, thanks for the advice anyway. If that’s a possible solution then perhaps the webflow team can add such a function to the pagination as it would improve user experience.

Thanks

$(function () { $('.w-pagination-next').attr('href', function (_, pagurl) { return pagurl + "#replace-with-id-target-you-added"; }); });

1 Like

Many thanks, really appreciate it!

That worked a treat @webdev thanks, how would I also adjust the code to work for the previous button?

$(function () { $('.w-pagination-next,.w-pagination-previous').attr('href', function (_, pagurl) { return pagurl + "#replace-with-id-target-you-added"; }); });

The selector is targeting the default webflow classes. You could use a more specific selector to ensure you are only doing this where you want. Of course to be more specific you would have to have a specific target.

2 Likes

Hello @webdev, that doesn’t appear to work. It has stopped the next from working as well.

Actually the code works just fine. The anchor link you added to my code (#golf-packages) does not exist, #golf-packages-section does.

1 Like

Opps :blush:, yes I see that now! Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

There is also an SEO implication with current method, Google will crawl the URL’s generated by the pagination which means it will be seen as negative. multiple URLS forces google to honour any canonicals, any URL with even a ?1 becomes a “different URL”, at least as far as indexing is concerned. Our clients are asking us not to implement pagination as a result.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this up @bennraistrick, perhaps one of the webflow staff can shed some light on the subject. I can’t see any point having it as a feature if it is going to have a negative impact on SEO, right?

Absolutely, I love that it’s there and SEO should be 100% the driving factor, however for many clients that is a huge strategy. One thing to be clear about, for article/collection listings it’s fine to paginate, however if you want a widget or section which contains posts and that need paginating, then the issue is more relevant.

Hopefully someone does pick up on this, as well as the issue you have highlighted as it does mean we need to hack quite a bit.

Previously without pagination, a collection list could only render up to 100 items. Pagination allows you control the number of items, before pagination occurs, and removed the limit. This is a feature. Loading 100 collection items takes lots of browser render time if there is media. Without lazy loading that content, your blowing your page speed, and possibly bounce rates. Google likes to see engagement. A user clicking next on a paginated list is engagement, scrolling is as well. There is a balance to everything. So now users have a feature they did not have before.

Focus on content, usability, and conversions.

Seriously though, if ranking lots of content organically in G, in competitive areas, with established players is your goal, you would not using wf. It does not have the tools yet. But it’s great at what it does.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.