After building my first website in Webflow, I want to share my findings, good, bad or ugly. In general it’s a big GOOD but there are some things that I think could be implemented better.
The site has already been built (hand coded) for Wordpress, I wanted to check to see if I could build the site in Webflow and if so, how Webflow could help me speed up my process, and the good new is… yes. Enough said!
It’s not finished yet, but I pretty much got 90% of the (27 page) site done within a day or so! It’s a multilingual site so will see how long it will take me to add the other languages.
There are bugs / issues & waiting for content (& client approval) then I can share the site with you all & create a YouTube video of the breakdown and my workflow but for now…
Hope it helps some people
- To be able to not publish certain pages
- I have setup a Global Styles and Templates Page but these should not be published
- Nested Symbols, this is self explanatory
- Better / More breakpoints
- Sometimes using just the standard ones are not enough
- Need more than 100 pages limit on Pro accounts
- This is a no brainer, My first site is already 30 pages, so if the client wants to expand on this we’re screwed! Or we’ll just have to move over to host the site away from Webflow.
- The issue with this is that Webflow has created a fantastic product that has, what I feel, silly limits that should just not exist for such a product
- Please can we have a mood-board / style pages
- See below for my explanation, but this would help immensely for an overview of the site, rather than checking the classes
- Better URL structure for the CMS
- What I mean by this is: So I created a Blog page but now every Post has a URL of /posts/post-page we need the ability to remove the /posts from the URL so it’s just domain.com/post-page
Flex-box just doesn’t seem to work on iOS
- I have tried all sorts of things, maybe I’m doing it wrong, but even checking the forums and watching videos that @PixelGeek has created I just can not get it doing what it should, hence in the Bugs section, but I will investigate more.
- I can’t figure out why is I place any interaction on an element the whole page disappears
- Granted this might be just me, but I can’t find out what I’m doing wrong, hence it’s in the Bugs section
- Elements with padding often expand past the parent
- Ok, so I have created a custom navigation, the links are all within a DIV with padding and a Link Block is associated this them. This isn’t really an issues with desktop but on iOS when you click the link the element looks like it’s bleeding outside of the parent element. So it’s not pixel perfect and my OCD / perfectionism is giving me a headache!
I now have permission to share the site…
Dev link: http://usc.webflow.io/
- Created a Global Styles page so I can setup all my headings, buttons that do not require them to be a symbol
- Created a Templates page for easy page building
- Instead of Flex-box I have created DIVs with paddings and called the Blocks 3, Blocks 4 etc. then their Sub Classes as Block 3-1, Block 3-2 etc then they can be styles to show up in the right places
I’m not a designer, just a developer that was asked by a friend to be part of a new design studio collective called The Odd Bunch (http://theoddbunch.nl/)
If Webflow works out for a few of my / our clients, I can se me moving all my Dev. to the platform, but right now I have to learn more…
My Global Pages
The way I’ve setup my blocks instead of using Flex-box
Blocks setup with it’s sub class, it’s all in the padding