Not sure what WebFlow can do for me!

Hello all,

Please allow me with great humility to turn to the community for advice and forgive me in advance for any approximations, all due to my lack of programming technical knowledge.

I run a photo editing and retouching service called photALL from my site photall.com

This is how it was made:

Step 1: wireframe / layout drawing by hand

Step 2: .psd design file using photoshop

Step 3: .html file using bootstrap to work on layout, Sublime Text to write code html, css , java script

Step 4: code the functions, using PHP 5.5 and framework CodeIgniter 2x. as well as MySQL to manage the database

The back-end of the site is quite elaborate since it allows to upload photos, annotate them, cost the service applied to them and bill the Client. It then allows us to dispatch the photo to be retouched to one of our team members, get it back to check it, and send it to the Client for approval and payment release.

For the new version of photall.com I would like to improve the process so that we can a better design (and easier to update it) and I have 3 questions:

• For the front-end, it is possible to design all in WebFlow, have my coder add his java script then export the result to my domain, with possibility later to make changes say in html and be able to export it again without my coder having to add to the html? In my mind, as long as I don’t touch a Name Text Box called TEXT_BOX_1, but only change its color or size, any script or other code attached to it or referencing it would still work and be exported. But my coder tells me that I would have to export the HTML and that he would have to add the code manually for each change I would make.
  • The back-end of my site is very dynamic, pulling photos in and out based on different situations. How could WebFlow be part of this ?
  • I have several GB of photos potentially being uploaded and downloaded every day, all through a dedicated server. Would there be any advantage (would it even be possible?) to use WebFlow on its CDN hosting plan, while having it worked along with my dedicated server and the photos handling system it runs ?

Thank you for any help any of you can give me. As you can see, this are some quite big and at the same basic questions !

Best regards,

Stéphane

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

I can see the vision a little. But honestly, if you’re going to use Webflow for this type of back end functionality, it may be a bit tedious. If exporting the site out of Webflow, it’s pretty much the end, because you can’t import back in.

I can see Step 2 being Webflfow (creating a style guide), maybe parts of Step 3, but that would be it - given this circumstance. And honestly, this is exactly where web development is stuck - Industry Wide!

The balance between easier front end and more functionality on the back end - all without writing it by hand!!!

This is always going to be the sticking point, until web based building apps can find a way to integrate full server side functionality into the front end, which is counter-intuitive. Because the back end data is going to be dynamic. There will need to be something that talks and adjusts dynamically on the spot. Which will always need to be a programming language.

In my cases, I just recommend 3rd party applications to clients and integrate them into a step in the process. You know, simply linking to process and having that app take over at certain steps.

From you explanation, I can see Webflow being the step 2 & maybe 3, but you’ll need another app to take over from there. :wink:

Thank you so much, Gary, for your comments.

Does the following make sense or I’m totally wrong here ?

"

• For the front-end, it is possible to design all in WebFlow, have my coder add his java script then export the result to my domain, with possibility later to make changes say in html and be able to export it again without my coder having to add to the html? In my mind, as long as I don’t touch a Name Text Box called TEXT_BOX_1, but only change its color or size, any script or other code attached to it or referencing it would still work and be exported. But my coder tells me that I would have to export the HTML and that he would have to add the code manually for each change I would make.
    "

When you export the site, the class names will have a “w” in front. I believe you can manually change this in notepad++ by doing a search and replace all. To remove branding in the code you’ll need a pro or team plan. Here’s a link for explanation:

For what your developer has stated, I’m no sure I understand what he means by “each change”. It seems you may be getting some incorrect information.

Let’s do this, if you want to call me and ask these questions directly, I don’t mind at all. I’ll send a message to your profile with my number and if you get time, you can give me a call.

However, by your explanation, I wouldn’t export the site anyway. I’d keep it on Webflow - add your custom code for front end - but add links to pages that need dynamic databases, programming and host those pages on a server.

Honestly. And this is truthful. If you have any programmer that knows what they’re doing. You really don’t even need to export a site. They can simply copy your header, background and footer. And build the functionality into a page in Visual Studio or whatever they use.

Actually, sites don’t really need to be exported, if you seriously think about it. Any full stack developer can make a page, then replicate a front end design - simply create the app and publish!! There’s really no need to go through all that. It sounds okay, but really, it’s unnecessary.

To prove my statement - all over the Internet, what’s the common hidden trick :slight_smile:

SUB-DOMAINS

It’s not always feasible to develop a new feature, functionality or page addition on the exact same platform … or on the exact same server. This is a common occurrence. New teams, new divisions, new steps. Just add a sub-domain - write it up - import header, footer .css or replicate - publish. So much easier.

I’m available if you need. See ya.

Here’s a real good example of what I’m referring to. A company I worked at for 5 years.

Then go to products and click each link. And you’ll see all sub-domains. Why would someone use sub-domains for a site that’s on the same server or made by the same developer? Kind of doesn’t make sense right? I think you’re best bet is to host the front on Webflow and develop back end on another server, then your programmer can have full freedom, with no restrictions. :grinning: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :wink: :kissing_heart: :blush:

Hello Gary,
Thank you so much for the time you are taking to try to “show me the way”!
I am still very confused. Less than before, of course and thanks to you, but still am!
I think I will experiment first, trying it out as I go, as I don’t want you invest more time in showing me.
Again, many thanks for your precious support.
Stephane

Sure thing, good luck. Have fun!

Amazingly Wix just reciently created a way to develop a node.js app with mongo as db’s when user’s use “developer mode”.

Webflow is obviously more dependable, and reliable system i’d trust. But it’ll be interesting to see what webflow does onwards!

But it’ll be amazing to see Webflow offer the ability to integrate API calls from my servers directly to the static site through either ssh or a TLS speicific ip address sending (of my back end servers).

No problem, let me know if you need anything else. Take care. :slight_smile: