[FIXED] New add>symbol panel is great but names are too shorts

EDIT: ease your workflow using the keyboard shortcuts:

SHIFT+A brings the symbols panel into view
SHIFT+CMD+A creates or unlink a symbol

Type ?in the designer to get a full list of shortcuts.

http://vincent.polenordstudio.fr/snap/qtgnh.jpg

As of today January 11th 2017, there should be a UI update addressing this in about 2 weeks.

Problem: The new way to show symbols doesn’t let a lot of room for symbol names

http://vincent.polenordstudio.fr/snap/9a8lg.jpg

Here it’s not possible to distinguish “inner pages menu” “inner pages header” “inner pages footer” etc.

And if it’s going to be the same icon for each, what’s the point of making a grid rather than a list?

Also we lost the ability to reorder them.

Thanks for listening.

14 Likes

Yeah – list would be better!

1 Like

Would definitely be in favour of reverting back to some kind of list with the ability sort. Sorting symbols in list view is sorely missed! @thesergie Help! :smiley:

Totally agree with reasoning behind moving the position… Is it at all possible to port the old Symbol management system back but into its new position?

6 Likes

I agree. There should be a list view option. Maybe it could work like the library does with sorting of some kind?
If there are to be an icon view there should be a preview of the symbol. And that would be great btw. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes list and reorder! Please!

Thanks guys! We’re looking into a fix now.

6 Likes

Yes I agree. It looks nice…but… I’d like to have a simple list view as well!
Some of my sites have 20 or more symbols (especially multi-language sites) and this is a total chaos with the current view. The old view was MUCH better, also I could re-organize my symbols in the list view… This new thing is driving me crazy… :weary:

2 Likes

@thesergie this is not ok! :frowning:
How can I create an element that covers the full screen? I have this setup:

<div popup> (full width/height)
<link block close popup> (full width/height)
<div popup content block> (content of popup)

It’s impossible to create a symbol of the main (first) div popup block, because i can’t right click that element because the link block is on top of it.

4 Likes

Noticed the same thing. Can you use keyboard for that?

Use the shortcut shift-cmd-A.

But I miss the button too.

2 Likes

When you select an item and then right click on it, the menu is for the selected item, not the direct element you’re right clicking on (in your case the link). If that’s not how it works then it might be a bug.

I’m with you on this one. Way too hard to know which one i which one!

Hi sergie no you misunderstood. In this case I had two fullwidth/fullheight elements on top of each other and i needed the parent element of that, but couldn’t make that a symbol. But with the keyboard shortcut I’m now able to, didn’t realize there was a shortcut for it.

Nonetheless…we need a listview for symbols, for sure!! and sortable. should be a 5 minute fix for you guys because those were already possible before. Now i’ll just wait here until you get those fixes live. :sob:

1 Like

Let vote! A or B?

A)

B)

i choose “B” :wink: enybody else?

I like “B”… here’s a slightly different version of B…

allows for long symbol names

I wish the symbols weren’t pushed so far down the UI.

As it is now, it can’t stay open.

If I have multiple page to populate with Symbols, I have to open the panel for each.

1 Like

B is my vote.

@vincent: I completely agree. The Elements and Symbols tabs should be ‘sticky’ so, each time you open the Add panel, it should show whichever tab was used last. That would be extremly helpful when inserting symbols on multiple pages – @thesergie

3 Likes

A) - allows for longer names

a little bit offtopic, but still relevant as a basic principle for the UI - so should be remembered the state of folders in the pages view - it is very incovenient to have the state of folders open by default all time