Nesting collection items within a paragraph

Hello everyone!

I’m a Webflow newbie attempting to build my first Webflow site (personal portfolio).

Struggling my way through, I’m slowly figuring out things but there is one element I can’t figure out how to build in Webflow. Here’s a closeup screenshot of the element in question, a clickable term with a footnote numeral which opens a tooltip definition when clicked:

So, what I’d like to achieve is:
— Have a CMS collection of all my terms and associated definitions (possibly autonumbered on the basis of the order in which they’re added to the CMS?)
— Be able to nest the collection elements within a paragraph of text, styled as shown in the screenshots with the tooltip behaviour.

Can anyone help? Would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

You can’t nest collections like that but what you might be able to do is manually put in the definition into a field and reference that field in the popup on a per item basis. Definitely not reusable like you’d like but likely doable.

EDIT: You may be able to do this with a dynamic embed and create a reference collection for the definition and reference data from another collection. I know you can do that in dynamic embeds but I’m not sure if you can do it natively in a collection list. Not sure if that makes sense but this is a bit out of my depth in terms of that much information being pulled.

Hi DFink,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review my issue and look into workarounds, much appreciated :pray:

I’m not familiar with dynamic embeds and referencing procedure, but I’m sure I can dig up some resource for the Webflow Uni. If I manage to get this working (fingers crossed!) I’ll be sure to post about it int his thread, thanks again!

Cheers,
Chiara

1 Like