Need Help Adding Password to a Single Collections Page

Here is my public share link: ( Webflow - Maylen Casal's Portfolio)

I’m having trouble adding a password to a specific collections page in our project. I’ve tried using the settings within the collection itself to add a password, but it doesn’t seem to work.

I understand that typically, we can click on the settings in the collection and add a password to apply to all pages within that collection. However, even that method doesn’t seem to be functioning as expected.

Hi Lucy, do you mean the entire collection, e.g. /cases/* or do you mean an individual collection page instance, e.g. /cases/this-specific-case?

Yes, that’s the typical approach, assuming you’re using a single password for everyone, you’d use “Anyone with the password” rather than user-accounts settings.

What are you seeing?

If you can share a page link and a password, that would help the community assist you.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Let me clarify my situation. I’m using a template with a CMS feature, and my projects are organized in a section called “case template collection.” There are five projects in this collection. What I want is for only one of these projects to require a password for access. However, I’m having trouble making it work.

I did some research, and it seems that if I add a password to one of these project pages (like /cases/this-specific-case, which is called “level5fleet”), it would apply to all pages in the case template collection. But that’s not what I want—I only want to add a password to that specific project page. Sorry if I’m not using the correct terms, I’m still new to Webflow.

Since that didn’t work out, I thought I’d try adding a password to the entire case template collection instead. So, I went to the settings for that collection and tried to add a password there. I clicked save, but it still doesn’t work as expected. Although I clicked save. If i preview my website it’s as if i never clicked the password option as if that option was never saved.

I’ve included some screenshots to help explain the issue better, along with a read me link.

I hope that clears things up. Thanks for your help!

Read Only Link: Webflow - Maylen Casal's Portfolio

Yes, that’s how Webflow’s password-protection feature works, it’s page-level, and a collection page is configured as a single page, so every item-specific instance is affected.

You’ll need to publish your site for those changes to take effect.

Also if you’ve already logged in, Webflow has a cookie for tracking that, and you’ll probably be logged in for 3 days or so ( there is no logout ).

There really isn’t a simple solution for what you’re wanting to do, even if you switched to Webflow User Accounts, it’s also designed to gate content at the collection-page level, rather than the collection-item level.

If your security needs are very low, you could use custom code and interactions to build yourself a custom “password” form, and design it so that a popup covers the page until that password is entered. This requires JS to be enabled in the browser, and the content is still in the HTML if anyone inspected it.

If your security needs are higher, you could split that one cases page into a static page so that you can set its password independently. I’d probably do it like this;

• Create a new static page /case-a
  • Drop a collection list bound to cases, and filtered to just Case A
  • Copy-paste all of the elements from your Cases collection page into that collection list, it will now show just Case A. Easier if you wrap them all in one big DIV first.
  • Password protect /case-a
  • Add a CMS field, with a redirect path, for Case A, add /case-a or whatever your static page path is
  • In your collection page, only render the outer DIV with the content when the redirect path field is empty. When it has content, render nothing.
  • Have a piece of custom code on the page which checks for content in the redirect field, and if it exists, it redirects the browser there. This will feel reasonably seamless but the URL will change from /cases/case-a to /case-a

In this setup you’ll still have all of your cases in the CMS, so you can list them.
All of the CMS paths will work normally, except the redirected ones will redirect.
You get password protection at the individual case level

It’s not ideal, but it’s a setup that achieves what you want, and it does a good job of keeping the content secure, as it’s never in the HTML unless the user supplies the password.

Omg thank you so much! I’ll try that out. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to say, THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKED. I was going crazy trying to figure this out lol.

1 Like