Need beta testers for upcoming Symbols feature!

@Daniel_Sun, totally agree with you that it would be useful to know which pages the instances are on. We already have the data, just need to figure out a way to display it in the UI.

Can you give me more detail about the copy/paste issue you’re seeing? I just pushed an update that resolves copy/pasting elements with symbols inside of them, so wondering if that affects your case. Thanks!

Safari at latest OS X. It seems like the icon is missing. I can hover over the place where it should be and I get tooltips. I can also click it to create new symbol.

Doh! I guess Safari is behind on flexbox support - I have a patch coming soon that fixes it.

Still I am not able to copy and paste when the menu is opened. If I don’t edit the menu anymore it is ok, I just make the symbol when it’s 100% done, but If I need to change something, it doesn’t work with the menu open.

Saw Symbols show and used it last night converted 25pages to re use the header asset.

Great work :slight_smile:

Noticed the “Current” value turn up when editing links, but since there is no page higherachy it only helps for sites which have 1:1 site navigation e.g. 5 page site. If you could allow higherachy in the pages creator then you could put a class --CurrentParent and --Current allowing you to mark the Section you are currently in as active.

If thats not making sense:

Users (Current Parent)

• User List
  • Edit User
  • Create User
  • View User (Current)
    Statistics
  • Overview
  • Content
  • Users
    etc etc

So if i’m inside the “View User” page i should be able to see in the reusable asset that the parent nav item for “Users” is an Active Parent Link. and therefore be able to style it so you know your inside the Users section.

Cheers,
Aidan

Not sure what’s happening but…
Sometimes double clicking on a symbol (to edit it) removes it from the page. Symbol still is available in the symbols panel, but it just deletes the whole symbol from the page. STRANGE!

Ability to edit the symbol if it’s not displayed (hidden) or behind another element. Maybe in the symbols tab allow to double click and edit the contents of the symbol. I set a symbol to hidden to access something behind it… now I can’t access it at all to make changes to it inside webflow.

@rowan - I’m looking into it. Any other clues on what you’re able to do to reproduce? Could you send me a site id that I can possibly duplicate?

@thegrafiqlyfe - hmm, I’m trying to determine how best to work around this. Would the ability to double-click inside the Navigator tab fix this?

@callmevlad actually i tried to figure out what caused the problem…but couldn’t figure it out, happened today about 3 times. Not a big deal because it’s easy to add from the symbol-library, but still… strange. Will try to figure it out.

Double clicking it inside the Navigator was actually my first natural reaction. Might have been the fluorescent green icon thumbs up. My next choice was inside the symbols tab. I tried clicking the “edit” and double clicking the box. So for myself… either would make sense. Unless someone else has other suggestions.

Great new feature… much appreciated.

@thegrafiqlyfe, I just pushed a change to make symbol instances double-clickable from the Navigator - can you give it a shot and see if it works for you?

1 Like

works well… thanks!

YEA. that was what I’m waiting for.

I noticed a bug. When I double-click in the design, the simbulo vanish, on the tab navigator it does not disappear. Video: http://screencast.com/t/cMDr0VLW

even without the div down below.

This is great Vlad thanks, I will start testing

Amazing feature. I started testing it and it works perfect.
Though I’d love to be able to “unpack” elements I made into symbols.
I’d also LOVE to be able to find where I have my symbols located by double-klicking them in the Asset Manager.

Vlad, are you planning to make symbols shareable across projects? This would save a lot of time when making lots of sites as some of us do, and use common elements in those different projects.

Cheers

2 Likes

@Stina Good point, it would be great to see where all the instances are. We’ll be adding that in the future.

For “unpacking”, you should be able to unlink a symbol instance from the main symbol by selecting the instance in the editor and pressing the Unlink button:

@cyberdave We are considering making symbols shareable, but are looking at it in a broader sense - i.e. we want to make sure styles are sharable across sites too. For example, you would create a “style guide” that you can inherit from, and that would be your own mini-framework for sites. There is a lot of complexity there, however, so we’re still in the research phase and not sure when we’ll actually implement it. It’s very likely that we’ll implement copy-paste-across-sites before we have some sort of formal cross-site-symbol functionality.

4 Likes

I’m excited to see this being implemented. Is it safe to use on production sites yet?

I can see it in my menu but I have stayed away, heeding your advice. I could definitely use that kind of feature on the site I’m building now if it’s ready.

Keep up the good work!

I can’t tell you how excited I am to see what you guys do with this. I wish I had a time machine to look 2 years into the future to see how sicknasty Webflow will be and how much it has taken over the world! MUahhahaha

Hey @DFink and all, Symbols can now be used in production-ready sites. There are some small quirks when designing navbars inside of a symbol, but it’s small and will not affect your production site.

2 Likes