Mac CPU usage using Webflow

Hi there,

After switching from another platform to Webflow I’ve noticed a few times that my Mac is getting rather warm and the fans are spooling up. I’m getting this when in the designer using Chrome or Safari, I’m not too sure if it’s the video background I have on the site or the fact I’m not using a high end Mac at the moment.

If anyone has experienced this issue it would be great to hear from you and also if you have any solutions.

Regards,

John.

Video backgrounds are going to use up a lot of resources. The best thing to do is to keep your Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor) running at all times. You’ll be able to see quite clearly if something is taxing your CPU hardcore.

Keep in mind, if your video background is overloading YOUR computer, it is very likely to do the same thing on a visitor’s machine.

This is it. HTML5 video is better than Flash, but it’s still a killer.

Hi @Cricitem,

I’ve been looking at the activity monitor whilst working on Webflow and it only seems to drive the CPU when in Designer (preview mode) and not viewing the site with the URL.

I’ll take a look today and see if I can grab a screenshot to post on here.

Thanks guys for your replies, it’s very much appreciated.

John.

That’s interesting and I think I may have bypassed that fact when I first read your post. What machine is it that you’re using when this is happening?

I haven’t noticed any issues and I push my laptop pretty hard (mid-2012 MBP 16GB ram) with around 40 tabs open at all times along with FTP software/PS/AI/etc. when in the designer but I may have to take a look at it and see what’s going on.

There’s also the possibility that there is an optimization issue on Webflow’s end where video backgrounds are concerned.

Hey @Cricitem,

I’ve managed to grab a screenshot and it seems to be the VT Decoder that is driving the CPU but it’s only happening when in preview mode in the Designer. I loaded 4-5 websites today all with video backgrounds and my CPU was perfectly fine. It also goes back to normal when I take Designer out of preview mode as the videos stop playing.

At present I am using a 2013 MacBook Air (which I’ve never really had trouble with) and a new Mac Mini as well and I’m getting issues on both. Looking to get a quad core 15" Pro very soon though.

it could be the Chrome Helper.

A lot of times - my Fans will scream and internal temp will reach 190+ degree’s.

Killing the Chrome Helper and sometimes restarts seems to fix this.

https://www.eidac.de/

@UberGeekie - What’s the fourth icon from right - on your dock.

I’ve noticed that Chrome Helper spools up my fans quite a bit and makes the Mac hot.

It’s the activity monitor, if you right click it you can change what you see.

that’s what I figured… but (on all 4 of macs) my Activity Monitor has a black logo.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.