Link thumbnail to a larger JPG image

Alright, this seems like such a basic missing function… I have a bunch of smaller images that I’d like to simply LINK to their larger versions. Just a basic link, not a lightbox or other widget. Just click the image, and open the larger JPG in a new tab. Sort of like the “link to a page” feature, but just the image.

Why is this so hard to do in Webflow? I know I can just manually enter the http://… URL as the link, but the problem is that I don’t know the actual URL of that image until the site has been published. And my image file name even changes after that, adding a bunch of numbers to the JPG file name…

Thoughts?? Can this be done in a script somehow?

THANK YOU! :slight_smile:

Why not use the lightbox component? It will make the image load in it’s own modal in a larger size. I am not sure there is another way to do this since it isn’t really best practices since it will either open up a new tab or take you to a tab which destroys the user experience of the way a website should work. I personally hate when images open in new windows because it takes me away from the page.

There is another thread that deals with this http://forum.webflow.com/t/zoom-in-on-image-by-opening-in-new-window/21805/4

If you are using the CMS, you can probably use the dynamic embed to create a link that will grab the image name from a collection and put it into a link automatically.

Thanks for the response. I’m linking thumbnails to full versions of newspaper articles… The reason the lightbox doesn’t work for me is that I need the user to be able to see it fully, then zoom in easily so they can actually read it (instead of forcing the image to fit the lightbox/browser window).

I’ll take a look at the link you sent; that solution may work, although I was hoping this could be done without needing special scripts or external products (like, having this “break” when Webflow or Sirv decides to update stuff?).

But thanks a bunch, I’ll dig deeper…

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.